Tax Question

I get VA disability, which is tax free. I also get SSDI. Do I need to file for taxes? :shark::shark::shark:

1 Like

i know almost nothing about taxes but i dont think so. I think you only have to do them if you have an income from working and only if its over $10,000 (atleast in canada). You might want to file your taxes however because its possible you qualify to get some money back

Everyone has to file taxes. But you might qualify for some money back, like @anon92887483 said. Tax laws just changed this year, so things are different than usual. I recommend using a tax preparer, because they know all the hidden things you can apply to your account. When I did my own takes, I would get back like $60, but when I hired someone else it cost $100 but I got back $800, so it was worth it.

1 Like

Are you sure? Because I get SSI. I got some stuff for taxes to prove I have medical insurance, but never read it.

Dont quote me but i didnt file taxes on time hardly ever as i never owed them money. When i told my pnurse that i hadnt filed my taxes yet (last year) she wasnt cocerned but suggested i stay on top of it. Her advise to me is my advise to you, its best to just have it done.

If your only income is disability related then it should be pretty quick to do your taxes online.

And as already mentioned its possible youll get some money back.

The government is making it really hard for schizophrenics to get benefits or retain or keep their benefits. What’s up with these taxes and ■■■■? Every so often they want us to do complicated ■■■■ to keep our benefits and prove we are disabled. It really is a burden for us. Going to social security, paying for ■■■■, getting rides, talking on the phone, and doing silly paperwork.

For state taxes, it depends on the state. Some say you only have to file if you make over a certain amount. Some say everyone needs to file. For federal taxes, refer to this

But it’s a good idea to file if you are from a low-income household. Because you’ll get money back. The reason you aren’t required to file federal taxes if you make below a certain amount is because the government isn’t going to force you to take more money from them. Please, everyone. File your taxes. It’s free money.

2 Likes

Luckily I live in a liberal state. No taxes for me.

So I don’t have to? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

If your SSDI is less than $25K/year, and you have no additional income (VA disability is tax-free), you do not have to pay taxes.

4 Likes

Where did you get that info? :ox::ox::ox:

I never did when I was just on disability. I think the IRS just looks under your social security number and sees that you dont work. Nobody from the IRS ever contacted me over the years I didnt file taxes cause it didnt work and was on disability.

2 Likes

Yes my SSDI was less than $25K. :sheep::sheep::sheep:

1 Like

Could you please link where you got this information from? Thanks in advance :turkey::turkey::turkey:

1 Like

@GrayBear

No problem, give me a few minutes. I have VA disability (100%), SSDI, and tax-free municipal bonds, so I know a little about taxes, just sayin’

1 Like

I have 100% VA as well as SSDI. Sounds like you know what your talking about. You don’t have to go into detail if you don’t want to. :parrot::parrot::parrot:

1 Like

@GrayBear

When you go through the formula, keep in mind that your VA disability is NOT earned income, so don’t count that as income:
https://www.irs.gov/faqs/social-security-income/regular-disability-benefits/regular-disability-benefits

1 Like

To make sure I am right. My SSDI was $15K. So I don’t need to file? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

@GrayBear

Sorry for the delay; I was discussing my fatty liver with GP doctor.

No, you don’t have to file.

1 Like

Sounds good. Thank you so much for your time and help. It really means a lot. Hope your liver is okay. :blush::blush::blush:

1 Like