Tardive dyskinesia

People that have this: do the involuntary gestures remind you of other people that you know, or used to know?

How would TD remind me of others?

I worry about getting tardive dyskinesia one day. How do other people react around those who have it. Are they polite or do they poke fun at it? :thinking:

1 Like

With risperidone, i was sticking my tongue out
constantly. It was ridiculous.

Now i jerk my head suddenly towards the left only.

2 Likes

I have cervical dystonia, not TD, but I have weird postures, sometimes, and I bob my head back and forth or my head will sway… Sometimes, I cock my head to the left side, and I just can’t help it… I try to straighten my head, but my neck muscles force it back to a cocked to the left position…

So far, nobody has commented on it, except for my husband (out of concern, asking how I’m feeling).

But to be fair, I haven’t spent tons of time around other family members, since the pandemic started. So, they haven’t really seen my movements when they’re really bad. I hope they won’t judge.

EDIT: I got cervical dystonia from AP’s, long-term use

4 Likes

Thanks for replying. I’m hoping people will be kind if it ever happens to me. I’ve been on APs a long time, so it’s a concern.

1 Like

I have involuntary gestures and facial expressions, sometimes. I think this is tardive dyskinesia.

They remind me of other people. I recall other people doing them.

Oh I see.
My head movement reminds me of
tics in movies

1 Like

An R. D. Laing book that I read a bit of, the other day, mentioned what I am describing, but didn’t call it “tardive dyskinesia.”

The Divided Self.

I don’t have TD but I worry about it all the time. Fortunately I am on a med with a low incidence of it, I hope I never develop it. I’ve been on antipsychotics for 17 years now.

However for the last couple years my right eyelid would twitch involuntarily. It was subtle, but annoying, and I was worried people would notice and I was embarrassed. From what I have gathered it is called blepharospasm and one cause of it is from taking antipsychotics.

I have insomnia and I read Glycine can help with sleep so I started taking Glycine for sleep a few months ago, initially 10mg, but now 5mg, and as a wonderful “side effect” of the Glycine the eyelid twitching has completely gone away. Total fluke that I found this fix for my eyelid twitching, because I haven’t read anything about using glycine for this problem.

2 Likes

I know someone who took the covid jab and it made a specific serious ap side effect they had go away!, @Headspark

1 Like

Funny how things work out!

1 Like

The beauty of unknown mechanisms behind pharmaceuticals can be a good thing at times…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.