Taking the first step

I just saw the added post about Vicodin. If you have been taking Vicodin intermittently for a long time, the exact symptoms you mentioned are quite likely. The Rx? Stay off any pain med designed for very short-term usage, and get psychoeducational psychotherapy so that you understand precisely what the Vicodin seems to have done during both use and withdrawal on top of the other stress.

People who became tolerant of and habituated to hydrocodone face many of the same psychological – as well as physical – issues as those who used morphine or low-grade heroin. And those issues can take quite a while to resolve without expert help, because it takes a long time for the brain to return to “default settings.”

Make sure the psychiatrist knows about your having been on Vic, for sure.

3 Likes

You should check your thyroid levels too. Too high or low levels can make you feel mentally broken. You do that at your GP. It’s a simple blood test.

2 Likes

@chris1

I hope you stick around and find some ideas. Welcome to the forum… if your looking for answers… of course a doc is who you’d need to talk to… but if you don’t have the money for that…

maybe try www.nami.org

they have a lot of answers and resources… and they are all across the U.S. with support in some of the most surprising places.

Good luck and I’m glad your here. It’s hard to take that first step if you don’t know where to put your foot.