Tactile hallucinations

Does anyone know how to deal with tactile hallucinations? I’m uncomfortable.

3 Likes

I get itching and the whole bug crawling feeling and antihistamines help. I know it’s a placebo effect but it works and I’m extremely grateful for it. I get these non drowsy tiny little antihistamine pills and as soon as I put it in my mouth it immediately starts to feel better.

As for other tactile hallucinations, I have not found anything that helps. And these are the worst for me. I feel something grab at me when I go to bed and I’m going to be sitting up in my living room with all the lights on until dawn. It’s exhausting at times. I’m hoping you get some good advice or tips on how to cope with it because it would sure help me too.

1 Like

I’ve heard engaging your other senses can help like listening to music or watching a movie.

Or I’ve heard strong sensations like touching something cold (like ice) or wet or with an interesting/pleasing texture can help.

I’m doing some stuff that’s helping a little and I’m using grounding techniques to keep me present

But I’m still just very uncomfortable

1 Like

I’ve tried music and movies before but I never thought of doing something like touching ice or something wet. You know, I used to have this furry blanket that I absolutely loved and it was a big comfort thing to me and now I’m wondering if that is why. That is a really good idea.

I am really sorry you’re uncomfortable. I’ve been there many times and know it’s rough. I hope you get some relief soon.

2 Likes

I hope you can find some comfort as well!! :smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

I get some tactiles.
I try to stimulate my sense of touch in other ways by stroking my arms, or tapping the tips of my fingers.

I also try to do some reality checks, like remind myself that there’s no way my shoulder can really be on fire, etc.

One of the strongest tactiles I have is that I’m wetting myself. I try to quickly rub my hands against my thigh or behind to check if it’s wet, or I go to the bathroom. 100/100 times, I’ve been dry.

I’m sorry I don’t have better advice. I wish I could help you get some relief, hallucinations suck.

1 Like

What tactiles are you having?

1 Like

I think that’s actually great advice thank you very much for sharing!!

This is actually helping a bit!! :smiley:

It’s kind of hard to talk about. But it’s related to my abuse…but yeah basically I keep feeling things trying to get in my pants if that makes sense

I’m sorry I know that’s gross

1 Like

Does itching in both hands count as tactile hallucination?

1 Like

Idk om? I mean tactile hallucinations are things you feel that don’t exist? but itches don’t seem that unusual? But I guess maybe it could be a hallucination? But idk??

1 Like

It’s not gross at all. And I can see why that must be both scary and frustrating

1 Like

Thank you. I just always feel so filthy when i talk about it. I just hate how much she still effects me. I wish she was dead so I could feel safe. I’m sick of feeling her and hearing her and tasting her and having nightmares about her. I want her dead.

It’s just terrifying. And I can’t seem to get away. Unless I switch. Everything hurts. I wish therapy could work a little quicker.

I’m sorry for ranting I’m just really bad right now. I’m sorry @Berru thank you for your support.

1 Like

Rant all you need. I’m here, and I wouldn’t ask questions if I didn’t think I could handle the answer :slight_smile:

I know what you mean about wanting to get away from the hurt. I usually keep myself busy and mentally stimulated, but if I’m alone and bored for too long, all the hurt I’ve been supressing comes flooding back, and my symptoms get worse.
I automatically dissociate. I’ve gotten better at fighting it, but doing so transforms the overwhelming feelings to restlessness and desperation.
I don’t like feeling desperate either, but I think it stems from a feeling of frustration over not being able to get rid of the hurt well enough.

I’m sorry, now I’M ranting! I hope some of this is useful or at least makes you feel less alone in it

1 Like

No you aren’t ranting at all I really appreciate it!!

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one that struggles with pain. And it’s nice to know I’m not the only one that dissociates and struggles with it. I’m sorry you have to struggle with these things to and I really hope you can also find some peace (hugs)

If you ever want some grounding techniques I’m always willing to share!

Yeah this is kinda what happened to me today. I’ve just been very negative and my brain wandered into the past. And then this started happening I hate it. I just hope it stops.

I’d love some grounding techniques :slight_smile:

One thing that helps me is acknowledging that i’m hurting.
I tend to panic that I feel bad, and do everything in my power to fight it off and deny its presense.
If I take some deep breaths and tell myself "I’m sad and hurt right now, but that’s just how it is. " instead of fighting it so much, I don’t feel as much of a rush to get rid of it.

1 Like

Are you using any drugs or supplements? Side effects can include tactile hallucinations.

1 Like

I don’t know how helpful this will be as I still suffer from tactile hallucinations each day but there are times when I become irritated at the grabbing my shoulders or touching my hair. I yell at it to stop or cut it out the same as I would a person. That helps. Maybe it’s trying to stay relevant in my mind.

Other than that I still lay awake at night waiting for it to stop or me to pass out.

2 Likes

The only thing I have found to help is to take a benzo. It makes them stop.

The thing is, I have to be in my right mind to realize I can take a benzo when it happens, which often doesn’t happen because I go into panic mode and also the things touching me talk to me which is also distracting. So I think it’s about building a habit so you can do it without having to think more about it.

1 Like

I usually just hit myself until it stops. In retrospect, probably not the best solution. :thinking::joy:

1 Like

I only get one-off tactiles occasionally. They’re very short-lived in my case. If I can reality check it, I do. If I can’t, I distract. I have stimming habits anyway, so I just do a stim habit to calm myself.

1 Like