SZ - Prognosis

There is nothing positive about having this illness. So, poor prognosis - even the shrinks can’t agree on what it is and society stigmatizes us …drugs, drugs and more drugs till we can work and are harmed by side effects

Where’s your silver lining ?

4 Likes

My silver lining is :

I never wanted marriage and kids. Without schizophrenia I could have sleep walked into both.

8 Likes

I think my silver lining is… perhaps the enhanced creativity I feel, even though I have no motivation to create.

5 Likes

My silver lining is I’m alive. I actually don’t hate everything I hear and see. I also like how it is inspiration for my art. I feel like I get an interesting perspective on the world.

4 Likes

My silver lining is that it gave me something meaningful to do with my life. Because of my illness, I am better equipped to help others with similar problems.

6 Likes

My silver lining is that I have learned to have compassion for others.

7 Likes

You sound positive about your life…I cannot say that it would be anything for me…I’d rather move to the woods and make huge fires , ect ect ect (not burn down woods or harm anyone or thing BTW)

3 Likes

Ya "ll sound positive… keep it up guys…!!!

3 Likes

My silver lining is that I get to see my son sometimes. He died 11 years ago, but sometimes when I hallucinate I see him and it makes me really happy.

8 Likes

My silver lining is that it taught me humility, compassion and tolerance.
Before I was diagnosed, when they thought it was just ADHD, I was a very impatient person. I expected everyone to be able to do the things I could do, because in my mind, anxiety and paranoia all boiled down to having the willpower to overcome/ignore it. I would get very frustrated with people for having limitations I didn’t have.
… Until I had those limitations myself.

My illness has taught me to be patient, and to understand that some things you can’t just will yourself out of. It taught me to meet others with respect and compassion instead of frustrations and pressure.

Without the SZ, I would most likely still have been a self-righteous stubborn jerk today.

6 Likes

I’m a nicer person because of SZA. I learned that I can’t function alone. I need other people and I need to be nicer. I learned that some people are truly disabled (like myself). I think it has given me more compassion and empathy. I’m a better person because of this.

3 Likes

My silver lining is that I have a silver lining. I struggle but I don’t take things for granted. I lost many things but not everything. What I have I appreciate. I’m grateful.

4 Likes

My silver lining is my parents hold hope for me. I am surrounded by love

5 Likes

This may sound weird but my schizophrenia ultimately saved me from myself and some of the bad decisions I made and probably would have made had I not become sick.

2 Likes

If I have a silver lining it’s been, and continues to be, my willingness to seek and accept help. No one overcomes schizophrenia on their own, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a 100%, unadulterated (bullshit) artist.

Schizophrenia would have given me a convenient excuse to dive into the bottle, stick a needle in my arm, wind up on the wrong side of the law, or even to run into the woods and start a bonfire.

I made a choice. I wanted, and still want, to live.

My silver lining is that I suffered so very much, in my youth, with this illness, that I savor my mental health, in old age, that much more.

I suppose my silver lining is I finally understand those with these illnesses, when I wasn’t becoming ill, I always had piqued curiosity how people lived with these illnesses and well, it’s not always easy some days to accomplish things. Another silver lining is being understanding of limitations when some days I’m not doing my best because of symptoms.

1 Like

My silver lining is I found God and know the true people in my life who really care.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.