Schizophrenia.com

SZ pipeline is very weak

when i looked pipelines for cns diseases i think sz pipeline is weaker than other cns diseases

for alzheimer there are 27 phase 3, 8 phase2 drugs but for sz there are 10-15 drugs

1 Like

That’s very interesting. I didn’t know there was a way to look that up. I think 10-15 is a lot but they could try more. And as far as alzheimer’s goes, considering what a horrible disease it is 27 doesn’t seem near enough until they find a cure.

3 Likes

I think many new drugs in pipeline are “add-on” drugs for cognition or treatment resisent sz.

2 Likes

i only see as a new drug pde10 inhibitors
lumataperone and roluperidone are relatively new too
there are just 4-5 serious drug unfortunetly
how much can pass clinical trials unkown

1 Like

There are only 4 or 5 Alzheimer’s drugs that have actually been approved. Something like 97% of all drugs ever studied for Alzheimer’s have failed in clinical trials.

A lot of schizophrenia drugs fail too, but not on the scale of Alzheimer’s.

Here’s a thread for keeping track of new and interesting sz drug development. I only list those with mechanisms that are not primarily D2 blocking, and those in current phase 2 and 3 trials. There’s 11 on my list, but there are more if you count the ones that are between phases, or are supplements or drugs being repurposed, or in earlier phases.

2 Likes

Thnks twinklestars

1 Like

Imagine if they found one that stops schizophrenia…we could all start our lives over :star_struck:

1 Like

PhRMA reported that between 1998 and 2017 there were some 146 failed attempts to develop medicines to treat and potentially prevent Alzheimer’s disease. And only four new medicines were approved to treat the symptoms of the disease.

I don’t know how many schizophrenia drugs were developed in that time frame, but more than 4. All variations on the same theme, granted.

Looking forward to some Naben news soon hopefully.

1 Like