Sz is likely a side effect of complex evolution

“Experts predict we will find a cure for schizophrenia in about 10 years.”

“As a result of our growing understanding, neuroscientists suspect that they also know why it developed in the first place. Those who suffer from it may be paying the price for humankind’s advanced cognitive capabilities.”

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/schizophrenia-is-likely-a-side-effect-of-our-brains-complex-evolution?

12 Likes

I think sometimes us Sz types give the world way too much credit when it comes to the creativity department. We believe that the whole world has fabricated this vast conspiracy against us.

I mean no one can even come close to the creativity of a schizophrenic, in my opinion.

5 Likes

NAMI said the cure would have already happened. Big think is good but I find that they are very liberal.

Let’s see if they are right. I’ll be 40 years old by that time.

1 Like

“Today we know that epigenetic changes trigger schizophrenia. It’s set off by some type of trauma, ranging from a dysfunctional family to childbirth.”

Wow. This is spot on. Mine was triggered by drugs.

1 Like

It is spot on for me.

1 Like

I would like to know which experts these are. I would like to know more about why they think there might be a cure in 10 years. I think that’s rather optomistic, but still, their lips to God’s ears.

3 Likes

I’m not as optimistic.
I doubt that Schizophrenia will be cured in 10 years.

3 Likes

in 2004 when I got ill they said there will be a cure in 10 years. To this day, we’re still taking medicine which was invented in the 1950’s. I doubt there will be a cure in 10 years but I’m sure in 10 years there will be such great advance in medicine to counter all symptoms.

3 Likes

I believe that schizophrenia is not just about taking medicines. It has also its spiritual side. There is also the emotional side.

1 Like

We are super saiyans

4 Likes

Maybe in 10 years I will finally “age out” of my worst symptoms…but that’s what they thought when I hit my 40s. Oh, bull poop, I’ll just aim for making it alive in 10 years!

3 Likes

I’ve always thought so

1 Like

In 50 we should be immortal… just saying…

3 Likes

Brilliant article

1 Like

if they exist at all

1 Like

Yes. There are many great examples of traits that emerge with spontaneous mutations in our genes. Some provide benefit to us (thinking capacity) and some not (cystic fibrosis) some with some benefit to some and hurt to others. Sickle cell hemoglobin provides resistance to malaria in the carrier state (1/2 genes) but can be deadly if 2/2 genes are involved. Add these over 100s of thousands of generations.

2 Likes