SZ explained in physical sense

SZ is not just a mental illness. It’s a brain disease and here’s why you shouldn’t be ashamed of having it. I’ve seen like 3 posts today about brain damage on this forum and was thinking of sharing what I know.

Cognitive symptoms: happens in Parkinson’s, ALS and other neurological diseases like spastic paraplegia

Laughing randomly/crying randomly: Happens in people with stroke, etc. Called pseudobulbar effect or pathological laughter

Extrapyramidal symptoms from meds: ALS, demylinating conditions etc.

Psychosis: MS, ALS, Huntington’s disease, adrenal crisis, dementia, Korsakoff syndrome, etc. Even a simple hormonal deficit or low vitamins can cause this. Many neurodegenerative diseases lead to confusion and psychosis because of nerve degeneration.

I’ve had 3 brain scans so far and found no damage, and I’ve also had scans of my spinal cord done. But nothing as well. I do regular brain scans and I’ve been told that usually nothing really shows up in them for people like myself with neurological conditions (unless you have MS or dementia). I’m hoping my brain scans stay clean next time I do it.

I’m not entirely sure if SZ is like my condition where the nerves have been damaged, but brain damage is so common in so many conditions. That being said, I want to let you know that you’re not alone in this. Brain damage or not, that doesn’t make you less than. What I know about sz is that it’s treatable, and your body doesn’t deteriorate with it. So keep working on recovery and don’t give up.

If you’re wondering at all about how I’m surviving with this sh*thole rare disease, I’m fine. I’m just trying not to drown in a pool of tears but there are going to be ups and downs. I believe it’s just life, really.

6 Likes

That’s a great post. Pointing the positive true side of this. I see frequent negative posts on the forum. Kudos :clap:

It’s funny if you post something intelligent and thoughtful on this forum it gets very few comments. If you post a one liner or some complaint everyone will come rushing to comment.

What is your condition then, if not SZ?

I’ve got psychotic depression. Most of the time I spend time feeling depressed and delusional.

The level of depression with PD is very intense though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.