Symptoms on the job

Hi all :slightly_smiling_face:

Just started a new job yesterday :partying_face:

Only thing is, I had some symptoms pop up after a long time of being stable (knock on wood!).

Had the thought: Can my coworkers read my mind?

It only lasted about 30 seconds, but it was enough to make me worried for a bit.

Not only worried about whether or not they knew what I was thinking, but also just the fact that I’ve been stable for so long and now this is happening again.

Maybe it was first-day jitters, but things are only going to get more hectic as the holiday season approaches, and I’m nervous that my symptoms might pop up with more intensity.

What are some things you peeps do to help you battle symptoms in public?

Thanks! :sunflower:

3 Likes

Can my Co workers read my mind, do you mean like literally?

Congratulations on the job!!! That’s brilliant I hope you can enjoy it.

1 Like

Like, can they hear my thoughts, basically.

There was this weird moment when I was thinking the word “Okay” and then the lady training me said “Okay”.

So it kinda put me on edge a little bit, and made me think “Can my coworkers read my mind?”

Thanks @anon51377248, and wishing you luck with your job search as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

its probably just a bit of a flashback to old thinking. Just try to use cbt to be aware of it, then just let the idea that “can my coworkers read my mind?” is meaningless and try to let it fade.
Or distract by getting more focused into the work your doing.

congrats on the new job :blush: you got this :facepunch:

2 Likes

True @LevelJ1, could totally just be a flashback to old times.

Going to try to remember some CBT, and let the thoughts come and go.

Defos going to use work as a distraction as well. Hopefully once it gets busier, I’ll be so focused on the task at hand that my brain won’t have any time to come up with nonsense haha.

Thanks a lot! :facepunch:

1 Like

For me personally mild positive symptoms simetimes try to creep up when I’m under stress.

Maybe you are just a tad nervous cos you have just started a job and once you get into the groove of things/adapt to the job, you won’t even be thinking about it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point for sure, @anon51377248.

Hoping it’s just some mild positive symptoms-- compared to everything I’ve been through, it ain’t my first rodeo :rofl:

Was just sorta taken aback by that thought, since it’s been a little bit since I’ve thought that way.

Thanks again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Best wishes on your new job.

1 Like

Thanks @NotSeksoEmpirico! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

After getting diagnose at age 20 I spent a decade in the workforce. Working helped build my social skills and overcome my paranoia. I had to learn how to communicate with people. It helped me in the long run but I had to go on disability because work was inconsistent and I need my meds. I had gaps in my employment with no health insurance and was getting free samples from my doctor. The samples ran out and I couldn’t afford my meds. I’d like to work but I need my meds. I can’t afford them when I’m unemployed. My medication is $1200 a month.

Stick with it and tough out your paranoia and fears. You’ll come out stronger in the long run.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, @Wantsome480 :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s great that you were able to build up your social skills and overcome the paranoia by working for a decade.

It’s tough going on disability, but I’m glad you’re getting your meds covered.

Just play with it or push past it. If you notice it and it’s disruptive, you can’t work properly.

Hard as hell phenomenon to stop sometimes, if you have SZ.

1 Like

True, @naturallycured.

What worries me is the dissociation part of it all-- when the paranoia starts and if it’s really bad, I’ll dissociate.

Hasn’t gotten to that level yet, and I’m hoping I’ll be so much “in the zone” at work that I won’t have time for the thoughts to creep in.

Gotta stay grounded somehow!

1 Like

Try to keep your mind occupied and applied to a task. The more you stay busy the better your performance and less time for frivolous thought you will find. Also understand that your symptomatic thoughts apply to the same area of your brain as free/random thoughts. the only difference is you are appropriating an emotion to the processing of the thought which is making it stand out. The best way to combat it is to let it flow and go as freely as it came. You can accomplish this by redirecting your focus on a task at hand or finding a new task to affix your attention too. If that doesnt work you can always search for your happy place and develop thoughts surrounding that depiction. You could also keep a song stuck in your mind and play and sing it out simultaniously with your imagination in efforts to avoid the bad thought from manifesting as center in your mind. good luck :star_struck: :tiger: :palm_tree: :alien:

1 Like

Only when if your coworkers are schizophrenic.

1 Like

Thanks @gcar :slightly_smiling_face:

Staying busy seems to be the key here, so I’ll try my best!

Probs won’t be to hard to do, given the busy season is approaching!

1 Like

Not sure I follow, @anon68148378…

Me: “Hey bro…you just read my mind!”

Brother: “Yeah. It was a short read.” :smile:

What line of work are you in? Retail?

1 Like

Heya tuna buddy!

I would attribute it to having some minor breakthroughs due to the stress of the new job.

You were able to look at the thoughts with some insight and note it’s strange behavior, that’s really good. Monitoring your processes.

I would continue to monitor as the days go on, it may settle down as you become more comfortable with the new position.

If you start getting more and more stressed please be careful.

Congratulations on the gig! I hope it works out for you!

1 Like

Sounds like you have anxiety brought on by new job
Anxiety about the schizophrenia keep at it you might get more confidence in time

1 Like