Swopping one addiction for another. Alcohol to scratch cards

I managed to cut down the alcohol, only a couple of drinkings in July but I now find myself buying loads off scratch cards when I visit the shop. I won £100 on one and instantly spent the £100 back on scratch card and won nothing. I realise that they are a huge waste of money and I’m not buying anymore from now on. I’m only going to put my normal £3 a week on the normal lottery.

4 Likes

I’m glad you were able to stop drinking. I’d rather lose my money than my health tho so… I understand lotto actions are tough but congrats to you for dropping the drinking…

1 Like

You could try a hobby. There might be something out there you’d find fun and distracting.

2 Likes

You know my biggest issue is the bordom.

1 Like

I don’t find hobbies boring. If I get tired of doing something I take a break and go back to it later. There are creative outlets out there that don’t require much investment and can work on whenever, rather than continuously. I suggest something like learning magic tricks. You can easily google how to do them and they are not always complicated to learn. I think you could do it.

1 Like

One off my hobbies is living as frugal as possible but living healthly. I meal plan for 2 weeks. Buy all the stuff I need within my budget, make pasta bakes that last 3 days, sausage casserole and curries. I Really like cooking. I like getting deals in the ‘nearly out of date bargin aisle’. I go shopping every Tuesday with my staff at 5pm to Morrisons (mid range supermarket) and I always get a meat pie for £1.24 (previously was £5.50) and that lasts me two meals. I have a spread sheet. I like a bargin.

I just ruin it with the beer (cut down now) and the stupid scracth cards

1 Like

That’s awesome. I’m a foodie myself and love to cook, too. There are so many free YouTube videos on how to cook various dishes, international and national. I hope you can cook more if you save your money.

1 Like

oh I don’t live frugally because I can’t afford food. I just like living frugally. Which makes me feel bad because I do buy all the nearly out of date reduced food. Should I leave that for people who need it more them me. I have seen this debate before.

Photography is a great and (possibly) inexpensive hobby. It gets you out for walks and you live in a beautiful part of the world.

1 Like

I meant, if you didn’t spend it on beer or lottery cards, you’d have more to spend on more unusual food ingredients to cook with.

1 Like

My occupational therapist got me into Photography and I eagerly tried to please him so purchased a £1300 SLR camera in a manic phase. Found out I don’t like Photography especially when a large camera makes me stand out. I do use my iPhone though which is much better,

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with doing phone photography given the quality of mobile cameras these days. If you enjoy doing it and you’re happy with images you’re getting then Bob’s yer uncle.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.