Switching to olanzapine melt tablets

I wanted to try these. Have been on tablets forever and thought the melt tablets were only available at institutions where I live, but found out recently the pharmacy has them.

There are several reasons I wanted to switch.

1. Tablets take a long time to work on me. I have to stay up for usually 1 1/2 hour before they work on my sleep. I remember melt tablets working faster from being in the psych hospital.

2. I have a ulcer that may be caused by the meds. Taking melt tablets may be easier on the stomach as they dissolve in the mouth.

3. I read in posts here that some people report melt tablets doesen’t cause as much weight gain as tablets.

It will be interesting to see how it works.

3 Likes

Best of luck with it…

2 Likes

I used to be on olanzapine melt tablets.

It’s possible I’ll get back on them in the future.

Does olanzapine help you sleep?

I have insomnia on latuda but can’t remember having it on olanzapine.

1 Like

Actually long term use has made olanzapine less effective for me. I slept fine for the first 7 years, but after that they have been weak on sleep. They are probably more effective than latuda though. I think seroquel and olanzapine are most effective on sleep of the AP’s.

2 Likes

The nurse in the hospital was giving me a zyprexa melt tablet and it dissolved in her hand, the dummy.

1 Like

Sounds like the nurse was new. I remember a lot of young people working at the psych hospital I was. Probably a lot of students doing part time work.

1 Like

I had these when I was hospitalized. They taste like lemon.

2 Likes

When on 10 mgs I used the dissolving wafer. It’s supposed to get in your bloodstream quicker and help with the weight gain. Never really noticed much difference and now I’ve come down to 7.5mgs I use the pill. Wafer isn’t available in that strength.

2 Likes

Yes. I could feel the effect coming on much quicker yesterday. It’s almost like you have to go to bed immediatley after taking it.

1 Like

I am very pleased with the melt tablets. They work much quicker. When I was on tablets I had to take them 1/2-2hours before I was planning to go to bed and I felt maybe they didn’t work very well. I don’t know if that’s normal or I just have bad absorption. With the melt tablets I can just take them when I feel like going to bed and then it takes 30-40 minutes before I’m sleepy enough. Much better. What a relief. Much more convenient this way.

So far I haven’t got restless legs while sleeping on 10mg which was a problem before. It might be because I’m supplementing vitamin E which is supposed to be good fighting TD. Maybe it has effect on restless legs as well. Just a theory.

1 Like

I’m using melt tablets. I sleep 30 min after I take them. Olanzapine does nothing to my paranoia or voices. I might end up trying clozapine

1 Like

That’s too bad it doesen’t help your symptoms.

I don’t know. I hear clozapine is very heavy. I would only take it if nothing else works. Have you tried other AP’s?

Yes I have tried all of them. Solian makes me focus better but does not remove the hallucinations. Many people say clozapine has helped a lot. I might try to combine clozapine with current drug to try it slowly first.

1 Like

You might want to try high dose niacin(vitamin B3) too. It’s considered safe up to 500mg daily. More than that there is a risk to damadge the liver.

I have used B3 on and off. I don’t have voices, but intrusive thoughts. It has helped a lot to quiet intrusive thoughts. I stopped taking it after I started supplementing citicoline though. Citicoline seems to have a similar effect on quieting my thoughts.

These are not antipsychotic’s. How can they silence the thoughts? I hear bad chatter internally by people I know all day. None of the antipsychotics work. How can these you suggest work?

Well. They are not a alternative to antipsychotics, but a add-on theraphy that seems to help some people, so can be worth trying. The upside is that they have little to no side effects if you stick to recommended dosage and you don’t get dependent on them. So the risk of trying is minimal.

I don’t know about citicoline, but in alternative medicine Niacin is regarded as a useful substance concerning schizoprenia.

1 Like

I’m glad you found melt tablets to be right for you.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I’ve been sleeping better after starting them. I think I may have a digestive issue so that pills don’t work that well on me.

I still want to get off olanzapine eventually, but for now I’m happy if I can get decent sleep for a while.

2 Likes

i was on them. now im on regular olanzapine tablets as they are cheaper.
no difference in weight or appetite but one thing the odt ones almost take effect instantly. like within minutes i got kind of lightheaded and sedated and needed to lay down right away. good for sleep tho

1 Like