Switching from Invega to Abilify

Just mild akathisia

1 Like

Could you stand still in one spot without having to move your legs?

Pretty much yeah.

1 Like

I’m getting my 3rd shot of Abilify Maintena 400mg soon and I still have ongoing akathisia!
When will it go away like it did yours?!
Can you focus on reading books for a long time without having to get up and walk?!

Ah man, sorry.

Mine went away after about a month. I did notice it go away by then so if you’re still having akathisia I’m not sure.

Have you tried other medications?

risperdal, olanzapine, invega all akathisia…

Try a lower dose? Especially since you don’t have any positive symptoms like hallucinations etc

1 Like

I think pills give less akathisia than injections.
Try lowest dose oral.

I used to be on the highest dose of abilify several years ago. I didn’t experience akathisia but it didn’t treat my other symptoms like my doctor and I were hoping. I didn’t have any side effects aside from weight gain, but it was nothing compared to other medications I was on. Abilify can help a lot of people, worth a try if your doctor recommends it!

He’s already on Abilify. Abilify didn’t work for me.

1 Like

I can only speak from my personal experience. I’m currently on abilify 5 mg/day (a very low dose) and I don’t experience akathisia. I’ve been on as much as 15 mg, and while I had a lot of energy, it wasn’t bothersome in the same way as with other APs.

It’s the best AP I’ve ever been on, both the most effective and least side effects for me. Hope it works out for you too!

10mg is the minimum dose for schizophrenia, I wasn’t stable even on 25mg. I needed 4mg Risperdal to be stable. Risperdal is stronger.
My negative symptoms were better on Abilify but I developped more serious side effects than negatives, it changed my personality for the worse, I became impulsive, had multiple addiction issues and hypersexuality.

1 Like

I’ve heard of those issues occurring. Risperdal, for me, made my whole body very stiff. I literally walked like a zombie. But that’s the thing about these drugs. Everyone is different.

1 Like