Success Stories?

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 1980 when I was 19. I spent almost the entire 1980’s in hospitals, group homes, or semi-independent housing. My case was severe and I felt like giving up a million times. I felt suicidal off and on. I spent most of 1982 in a locked psychiatric hospital. I was usually delusional and paranoid and I suffered incredibly badly.

But in 1983 I had gotten a job. and I ended up staying there for four years despite a nasty crack habit.during the last year I was there. The drug addiction took me places I had no business in being there, it got me hanging out with people that shouldn’t have and it made me do a lot of crazy things that I barely survived. In 1990 I got clean through AA.

Then I got a job. I enrolled in college, I got a car. I made a friend who I ended up knowing for 7 years. I started socializing reguarly, I was doing fun things

In 1995 I moved into my sisters condo and rented a room I lived with her and my nephew for 3 years. I was still working. I was going to comedy clubs, restaurants, movies, parties, clubs, dances. I flew across the country with my dad a few times.

Well, I’m 55 now. I’m looking back on being employed almost steadily at different jobs for the past 33 years. I only need four more classes for my AA degree. I have lived independently since 1995. I’ve had my own cars since 1995. I’ve been at my janitors job almost 6 years now. I own a 2012 Volkswagon.
I get out almost every day. A lot of my symptoms have subsided. I am sometimes at peace with myself. I often like myself and other people. My life is still tough but I am a hundred times better than I was 30 years ago. Success is relative, but I haven’t done too badly for myself.