Study shows 'alarming' long-term declines in schizophrenia functioning

Going on 17 years my first 10 were harder. Stable now

3 Likes

This some bs and i refuse to believe it. U get worse when u r psychotic, especially unmedicated. Thats what happen to me. Lo and behold this is the type of research that someone overlooks basics and does some analysis to prove some useless point. Maybe year 5-7 when ppl get stabalized for good cuz they cant bear life anymore so they adhere to meds and what govt wishes so they can have assisted life.

1 Like

Agree there are a lot of unanswered questions in this study. It does follow one distinct population from one very specific area using the same hospital system during the same period of time, so there could very well be confounding cultural, environmental and treatment factors that are unique to both the era and the location.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if there are usable conclusions, and if these results are replicated elsewhere.

2 Likes

It seems to be real difficult to really find scientific papers. I know of only one site that does it reliably and that is only for High Energy Physics papers.

On the bright side in the article it said that many other people disagree so maybe the science isnā€™t really know about the long term cognitive health of schizophrenics.

Apparently I missed the memo. 25 years plus and doing fine.

:blush:

2 Likes

I dunno. I have read a lot of studies. They donā€™t all agree. Remember, some studies say the illness causes brain volume loss, some say itā€™s the meds. Some studies say untreated psychosis causes brain damage. Others say thatā€™s unproven.

Iā€™ll go with whatever makes me less miserable.

5 Likes

Have you tried Sarcosine? Being hopeful and friendly to voices may help? It would be not right for me to intrude, however being positive and listening to music that you like might be a good alternative?
Wishing you the best always

My brain volume is doing just fine. Thatā€™s been checked out.

Pffft. No, never bothered with that, itā€™s my daily job to push them back.

2 Likes

Itā€™s been about 8 years since I was diagnosed and Iā€™m beginning to tank. I recently had a med increase to see if that would help and it hasnā€™t really.

@everhopeful we donā€™t have a choice, we live our lives and thatā€™s it.
I hope things will improve for you, and, if not itā€™s OK.
Try to deal with everything with equanimity.
I have tanked a great deal since I fell ill 4 years ago, but I hold out hope for recovery
and in any case it can get even worse.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve Been living with SZA for decades.
Itā€™s getting worse over the years and Iā€™m comfortably medicated.
I donā€™t know what shape Iā€™ll be years from now.

2 Likes

My grandfather has been schizophrenic since he was around 18 years old. He was always on Haldol. He is 80 years old now and has learned many coping skills over the years that have helped him. Plus, the meds have gotten a lot better since 1960. I really believe that it depends on the person. This article is not right. We need to always think positiveā€¦ and never lose hope.

6 Likes

Rightly said Rosie1!

1 Like

Iā€™m at year 35 into my illness. Was at the point of becoming treatment resistant 5 years ago but decided to ā€˜go for itā€™ after that (i.e. attempt to get better) so went hammer and tongs at EMDR and hypnotherapy. It worked, and am now happy and almost symptom free.

5 Likes

wait for iti007. its going to be available soon.

3 Likes