Study researches ketogenic diet against bipolar

An Introduction to Ketogenic Diets and Bipolar Disorder (bipolarketostudy.com)

My mother lost lots of weight with keto but I can’t sustain it. I wonder if keto decreases glycogen stores in muscles which would decrease athletic performance.

2 Likes

I don’t know really…

I just started and have a hard time sticking to it. I just found this study though, might anyone be near and interested, i think they are recruiting people still.

1 Like

@Aziz did you tell your father about your Moms bulimia yet?

1 Like

No, I didn’t see her do it again and she got mad at when I told her to not do it, she said shutup don’t tell anyone. I don’t want trouble.

Are you serious? That’s your mom’s health. Bulimia can cause all sorts of serious problems and can kill.

2 Likes

Yes I agree with @ZombieMombie
Bulimia can be deadly

Go tell your father

2 Likes

Will you be training for triathlon? I don’t see much problem still. Fat adapted people run ultramarathons.

1 Like

I think im gonna try keto, a friend of mine lost 10 kg in a month on it

1 Like

No but I mean at the gym exercising more to lose wieight. I like to push myself at the gym.

1 Like

I don’t think it will affect weight training much. There are likely tailored variants of keto.

Keto includes allot of fats
Is keto safe?
I see fats includes inflammation with medication.

I read it decreases inflammation, I think, but don’t know how.
I don’t know enough about inflammation because of fats.
Is there a difference between unhealthy fats (junkfood) and healthy fats (meat, eggs, fish)?

1 Like

I think keto is supposed to have health benefits and risks, both. Im trying it though. I is speculated to decrease anxiety and maybe psychosis. I’m not having very high hopes, but for the chance of it, I’m willing to try.

Junkfood contains transfat which are bad. Fish, meat, pastured eggs, lard, tallow and dairy is good.

Keto decreased overall inflammation since there is less activation of insulin pathways since you’re eating lot less sugars.

We don’t know much about how keto affects each individual. Since we haven’t tried these diets at large with experimental trials.

1 Like

Yes, it is a shame.

I know medical establishment here uses it for epilepsy. But for mental health it is all very vague. I see reports, case studies and theoretical explanations why it would help for some things. But there isn’t big well-designed studies afaik. Which is a shame. So I’m just experimenting on myself then. I already know from experience a very clean (sugar-free etc) diet works good for especially my mood. But this, really no clue.

1 Like

Doctors like Chris Palmer of McLean and Georgia Ede are using keto for treatment resistant cases of schizophrenia. It doesn’t work for 20 percent people. But keto working for 80 percent treatment resistant people is big thing on itself.

Keto has to be only intervention which seems to help with all symptom types - positive, negative and cognitive.

1 Like

Meat and eggs have unhealthy fats. Trans and saturated fats are bad. Eggs raised my blood cholesterol.

2 Likes

Saturated fat is bad too and raises cholesterol.

Keto decreases triglycerides and LDLs. Raises HDLs. All fats raise cholesterol when consumed with excess carbs. Thing about all diets is that we can’t generalize their effects to everyone. Each person responds in different way to them. Some people have complained of increased cholesterol on keto.

2 Likes