Study: Percentage of people with schizophrenia/bipolar who work

7 Likes

But people don’t have to be a statistic.

4 Likes

The percentages of patients with only 1 admission who were earning minimum wage or above in December 2010 were as follows: 10.6% of patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia; 21.6% of patients with a diagnosis of nonaffective psychotic disorders; and 24.2% of patients with bipolar disorder. The percentages of patients with multiple admissions who were earning minimum wage or above were as follows: 5.8% of patients with schizophrenia; 11.2% of patients with nonaffective psychotic disorders; and 19.9% of patients with bipolar disorder.

4 Likes

I guess according to this study, bipolar have a higher chance of recovery to actually work compared to schizophrenics?
It is sad to see 10,6% and 5,8% which includes me.

1 Like

If I continue getting the symptom relief that I’ve had in the last few days maybe I have the capability to work.
I don’t know how to explain that I’m 36 and I’ve never been hired on to work. I definitely can’t mention that worked a Summer for eval at Goodwill. They wouldn’t even consider me then.

I haven’t worked in the last 21 years, so, I know that no one will hire me.

I’ve had multiple admissions for schizophrenia since I was 18. I’m 32 now and I’ve worked all of my life. I’ve taken short breaks in between jobs and once on illness leave for a couple months but other than that I’ve worked straight through. Mind you I’ve only made a couple dollars over minimum wage at the most though.

4 Likes

The job market here is competitive and I really don’t have the connections to get hired anywhere. It is better that I don’t have a job while I’m recovering from surgery, because it will be a hard recovery.

1 Like

I am not sure where you live but there are companies who help disabled people find jobs

According to this study, I should not be able to hold down a job. Yet I have worked almost steadily (albeit, mostly part-time) for the last 30 years.

1 Like

I think the ability to work is definitely diverse among the community.
For myself, I work full time despite some days being difficult cognitively, I still manage to make it through even though I wanna just curl up and not do anything because some times what used to be simple…is more difficult for me to not stress over now.

3 Likes

I tried vocational rehabilitation and didn’t find it helpful. I did give Goodwill a summer of near free labor because of it though.That was some years ago. I do live in one of the poorest counties in my state.

1 Like

I’m 37, been working since I was 16 (or 15, if you count babysitting). I have worked almost continuously, aside from three periods of unemployment (a couple months each) in 2007-2008 (I was very sick for most of 2008), and the year I was in med school (no time for a job). I have sza, not sz, but I imagine the percentage of sza’s who work is still fairly low. As I’ve mentioned on here before, I have no family that could/would take me in, so my options are quite simple: struggle like hell to get through my work days or be homeless. I don’t think homelessness would agree with me.

2 Likes

I mean, I don’t even have any friends irl to use as a reference. I have one past acqaintence that might do. But they’re going to want more than one reference.

I’m one of the 95% who don’t work. I worked for so many years, though, that I consider myself retired, at my age.

2 Likes

I am not working at the moment and the prospects I do have are not great. I will be most certainly under employed given that I was unwell for three years.

1 Like

I can have a job because the antipsychotic removed completely all my symptoms. However this not clear yet if the mental illness that I have is schizophrenia or not.

My brother is definitely schizophrenic and he always had a job. He just had to stop for some time while he was at the hospital. He started working again very quickly.

1 Like