Study or work

I am weighing up pros and cons:

Option1: Take time out and study. It is a bit tough I am 35. It will cost a lot of money and I might have to be more wise financially careful but in the long run I will have a professional qualification and licensed to work in my field. More job oportunities of choice. Mum will help me pay for the course.

Option 2: Stay in my job because its the secure thing to do. But end up regretting it and not enjoyign it with more scope to feel like I can move around with jobs in the industry. And then 5 years later wishing I went and did the course.

1 Like

Which course are you thinking about?

I want to train as an accounting technician . AAT.

I have this problem to decide also.

I actually quit my job with no notice on 9th March

I think I am going with study

This is a personal choice.

I personally think qualifications are important to moving up to the next stage of your career and life

2 Likes

If it’s something your really passionate about, I would go for the course.

1 Like

I would look into leads or job placement

if you start the program.
Are you willing to travel, or move?

1 Like

Unfortunately I cannot move out of London but most the opportunities are in London anyway. I can actually start the course , and then look for jobs as one is more likely to be hired while they are already training.

1 Like

The thing is when I had a psychotic break, 10 years ago, this is what I was looking into doing. But I lost confidence. And thought my illness wouuld get in the way. And yes maybe it still does, but I feel much more able and ready. It’s just that I am 35 and I will be out of work for some time.

And I already regret not doing this 10 years ago. I don’t want another regret. My math is not good, but I can start from the foundation course. I think I can do this. :slight_smile:

Hopefully the school would work with you closely.

It should fit each individual.

1 Like

Don’t live in regrets. You should just be confident that you’re stable enough to deal with the pressure.

1 Like

I have seen a lot of jobs where they train you to become an accountant whilst paying you a salary. Maybe you could try looking for something like that.

1 Like

I have been looking but unfortunately I am having some difficulty finding an apprenticeship but maybe its lockdown hence lack of opportunity

1 Like

Yeah, it is going to be a lot harder to get jobs for the next 5 years. It is possible though, I have a friend that did it. He came straight out of uni with a Sociology degree and then started a job as a trainee accountant.

2 Likes

Seriously I have a sociology degree lol

1 Like

Do it. It doesn’t matter if your are 35, time will pass and you’ll be 45. I wish I had done my schooling 10 years ago!

2 Likes

Yeah. You are going to be older no matter what you do. Might as well pick something you want to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.