Students who avoid making eye contact could be guilty of racism, Oxford University says

[QUOTE]Students who avoid making eye contact with their peers could be guilty of racism, according to Oxford University’s latest guidance.

The university’s Equality and Diversity Unit has advised students that “not speaking directly to people” could be deemed a “racial microaggression” which can lead to “mental ill-health”[/QUOTE]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/04/22/students-avoid-making-eye-contact-could-guiltyof-racism-oxford/

Lot of people with ASD and schizophrenia have difficulty making eye contact. Are they all racists?! Racism is a serious issue but things like this don’t help. Would have expected better of Oxford university.

4 Likes

I have aspergers and avoid eye contact usually that doesn’t mean that I’m racist. I would never think that someone who avoids eye contact to be racist. It’s quite sad if people think that way.

3 Likes

I am naturally distrustful of all people until they prove other wise… and even then eye contact is sparse due to sz and ptsd… this seems to be a major case of “riding the band wagon” using trigger words to get readers… they shouldn’t be saying this though… I would hate for someone to prejudge someone else based only on if they make eye contact or not… yea prejudging based only one thing… I wish I could make the world understand judging another on preconceived notions only gives away the one judging’s character… we need actual understanding amongst all things… understanding > judement by leaps and bounds…

3 Likes

There are many different reasons for not making eye contact. Oxford University’s findings are ludicrous.

2 Likes

I almost signed up so I could post a comment… but reading the comments… they got it covered… when I read this article I see hitler… standing on a balcony… screaming at students… telling them “YOU MUST MAKE EYE CONTACT AT ALL TIMES…OR YOU ARE A RACIST…AND EVERYONE KNOWS HITLER HATES RACISM!!!” and then the crowds of students cheer on das furher as he spits and slams his fist into the balcony… I cannot tell if im being over dramatic or if our young are being indoctrinated into hateful conformity and they do not notice…

1 Like

Anyone who thinks I am racist for having difficult with eye contact could be accused of being anti those with possible ASD/severe mental illness.

I swear, these Universities don’t have nothing better to study?
It’s pretty sad if you ask me.

5 Likes

There are no sources in the article and no counterarguments. I’m not sure what to make of this.

3 Likes

I Googled it and found the source.

It says:
"Sometimes called “micro-aggressions”,
subtle, everyday racism can appear
trivial. But repeated micro-aggressions
can be tiring and alienating (and can
lead to mental ill-health). Racial microaggressions
might include:

• Not making eye contact or speaking
directly to people
• Not believing someone is British
(‘Where are you from? No, I mean
originally…’)
• ‘Jokes’ drawing attention to someone’s
difference, their accent, or nationality.

Some people who do these things may
be entirely well-meaning, and would be
mortified to realise that they had caused
offence. But this is of little consequence if
a possible effect of their words or actions
is to suggest to people that they may fulfil
a negative stereotype, or do not belong.
Again, we are working to address this by
raising awareness of this type of subtle
racism in our training."

I don’t think they mean you have to maintain eye contact all the time with everyone you meet (they say “might include”). I think they just mean they want people to be aware of the possibility of treating people differently based on race when it comes to eye contact.

2 Likes

Apparently they don’t. Remember this recent gem from UC Berkeley? :unamused:

4 Likes

wow… took their best team to figure out the laces don’t untie when not in motion…so it must be the motion… genius level deduction skills going on here…

3 Likes

indeed, thought-police, disgusting.

I listen to a certain radio station and they were just talking about how Bill Maher and Jerry Seinfeld refuse to go to college campuses. Hmmmm. :thinking:

1 Like

Every time someone tells me I’ve committed a microagression against them, I’m tempted to follow it up with a macroagression. Hard enough to see if I can reboot a stalled brain.

4 Likes

Some cultures consider direct eye contact to be rude.
Back to school for whoever came up with those conclusions in the article.
not too helpful for anyone.
also people like me who have severe vision problems
I am always accused of either looking too intensely or not making eye contact.
this mindset in the article is another example of why I avoid people. They are always looking for a way to bully me and accuse me of stuff i never intended.

This thing where everything is racism kind of seems to me like it’s minimizing actual racism. You know, I didn’t make eye contact with you, that’s as bad as if I denied you a job, housing, or worse because your skin is the “wrong” shade.

But, I’ve never been the victim of racism, so it’s not really down to me to say.

I guess I have been the victim of racism, and ablism I don’t know what the answer is to people getting along. I wish people would just be kind.

1 Like

Is this a body language? Author of “Body language” also says when people rub their nose when talking, it is considered lying. (unless they are infected with flu)

watch a politician talk…then watch a regular person do an interview… the eyes reveal the most…

2 Likes

That’s total nonsense…