Schizophrenia.com

Strange grading system

I’m 1/2 way into the semester and I’ve realized I haven’t gotten any marks back.

Turns out that my school never returns marks until you finish the semester.

I’m just sitting here thinking, “How on Earth would I know how I did when my assignments are not marked until the end of the semester?”

My school has a strange grading system…and it’s just not my school. It’s my brother’s school as well.

At this point, I haven’t gotten back any of my assignments and I haven’t received any feedback.

Seriously, I’m massively confused. :man_shrugging: How am I supposed to improve my translation skills?

1 Like

No offense, but is there some mistake? Are you sure about that policy?

They don’t give grades on any assignments until the end? I’ve never heard of that and it sounds like a lousy policy.

How do they expect you to know if you’re doing good or bad? I would call them up or email the teacher and ask them to explain this policy.

Maybe this applies to only certain classes? If I didn’t get my grades until the end of classes I take I would be lost the entire semester.

Are you sure this is a legitimate school and not a scam?
Are they going to just take your money and then say, “tough luck” and not give you credit for it?

Says “not able to be released” so I’m hoping a grade will come out at the end of midterm exam.

My mom says this policy is the standard grading system in Korea. I don’t even know. My brother is experiencing the same situation- seems like it’s standard everywhere.

Yes, it’s a legitimate school- our university produces the most amount of diplomats per year, so people usually enroll here to become a diplomat. (It’s also one of the top 15 schools in Korea)

2 Likes

I don’t think this sounds weird at all. Giving you grades all semester is hand-holding. It’s a higher education and you need to learn not just your courses but also how you deal with this difficult process, with the uncertainty and with tracking your progress on your own, without constant help from your teachers. The most important thing you’ll learn is the mindset and the process, not the facts.

We have no hard rule against getting grades before the final exam, but we generally don’t get any, and when we do, they usually count for half the final grade and are large projects. It doesn’t make me question my progress, because I have learned to evaluate my progress on my own. The first exams were very stressful, though, because of the uncertainty.

I don’t agree with all your points. I will allow that their system must work halfway decently or they would have abandoned it a long time ago. But why call getting grades “holding your hand”? Hmmm, every college I’ve ever heard of or gone to in my life grades papers. If you’re not getting feedback you’re going to keep making mistakes. If no one tells you you’re doing something right, how are you supposed to know? You learn from doing something right and your mistakes. But if you don’t get grades you don’t know the difference.

2 Likes

I would have a hard time coping with being left in the dark like that. I like getting feedback and being updated on what is going good and what is not.

I only think that part is hand-holding, not the whole thing. And I know even great universities in the US do it that way. But learning to keep track of your progress on your own is a great skill to have, and constant feedback prevents you from learning it as well as limited feedback does. In real life you often will not have the benefit of constant feedback.

1 Like

I dunno. Every job I have ever been to lets you know immediately when you screw up, and every good job has someone who retrains you on how to do it correctly. A good job in the US comes with at least a month of on-the-job training, and the cost of that training is high enough that employers generally would rather retrain employees who make mistakes than just hire someone new.

If I was making the same mistake all semester because I didn’t understand one thing in the beginning, and then I failed, I would consider that a failure of the school to do the job of teaching me the material. Correcting mistakes seems like a really fundamental part of teaching to me. I suppose it depends on the goal of the university. If the goal is to test your self-sufficiency and skills, I can see that model working. If the goal is to teach you skills, I think our system is better.

1 Like

That sounds strange! I don’t know how you’re supposed to improve your translation skills without any feedback.

Do you know your classmates? You could ask them to review your assignments in exchange for reviewing theirs.

I am taking a writing course and we have peer review. I don’t know if it helps but it is better than no feedback.

This sounds like something you should’ve been coached on through the enrollment process.

In america the colleges grade you as you go, and you get coached on how to improve or you get weeded out through the test cycle.

This sounds like a way to fleece you of your time and your sanity. Honestly it makes me wonder how other places do other things now because this comes off as bizarre.

This other person whom sounds like they’re from the same place as you sounds like they have a very culturally backed view of things about how education should be, and I don’t know that you’re from that environment yourself because you seem a bit abilivious.

If this school is so well known and you got into it, I would expect you to know things like this about the system, but because of your utter bafflement I wonder if there isn’t some undercurrent system for fleecing students that is hush hush.

Yeah I think it depends on the education and the available jobs. I will get very little feedback in my future job, and limited feedback in most courses is appropriate and helpful in the long run. But sometimes it is less appropriate, like when training nurses to administer meds correctly.

If the focus is on skills training, direct feedback is certainly very important. But learning to handle uncertainty and to evaluate one’s own progress can be more important in many jobs than learning to do things in an exact way.

1 Like

To me, language and educating someone on such a crucial skill as communication it would not be uncommon for a super hands on form of teaching. Language is literally life saving, and if they want to be able to communicate they need constant communication. A lack of communication anywhere in this field even in grading sounds like a recipe for disaster.

1 Like

Which is why I’m wanting more feedback from my professors. Translating and interpreting are founded by years of experience.

If my professors continue to stay silent, I’m going to schedule a meeting with them. I basically had 0 interactions with my professors other than with a foreign professor from North America.

Thankfully my English lit prof agreed to have a meeting with me tomorrow at 3pm.

1 Like

I have had plenty of courses with only a single assignment and grade at the end of the semester. I don’t think the only way to learn is through graded tests.

Maybe I’m not used to the system and I just need to get used to it. The past 7 weeks have been very confusing.

I have no idea who my classmates are. We’ve never met each other due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

And I haven’t really found a way to interact with them. I know several people from my class but I don’t talk to them at all.

Sometimes online learning is so difficult. Like why :sob:

Maybe I’m expecting too much of my profs. My professors do teach me how to translate without giving me individual feedback. This is why I’m thinking of meeting with my professors on zoom to talk about my progress.

I understand. Yes, my writing course has a discussion forum. We are being forced to interact. This is a free online course. I get feedback on my quizzes each week too. This is a course from Stanford so it is an American university. I am learning a lot although I’ve never interacted with the instructor.

It might be good you are learning on your own, but since you are still in the beginning stages of learning translation/ interpreting, you should receive some feedback.

I like online learning, but I do agree it could be sometimes difficult.

I do think there is a time when learning should become more hands off. But that, to me, should be more in graduate-level courses where the students have already learned the fundamentals and are being trusted to actually teach lower-level courses. If a student is learning how to do a brand new thing, they should be told whether they are doing it correctly.

1 Like

If you don’t get graded, then what’s the point of professors honestly… you can read a book it doesn’t seem to be all that effective in my opinion.

I understand @Treebeards point of view, but life skills is not the reason @laetitia is going to uni for… I used to translate too before, but clients always give feedbacks anyway in my case.

Any case, finding out that you’ve failed at the end of semester all the sudden seems unfair

1 Like