Stopping Medications? (Does not condone)

meds have made me fat and stupid well the ones im on now that’s all imchanging them in January want to have a nice xmas before the torture fest of withdrawals.

2 Likes

I like myself better off medication too. I don’t want to become disabled though, and if my Bipolar starts getting worse I might start becoming impulsive. I’m starting to think it’s too late to withdraw from it. I might need to start doing something else to help with my memory. My friend said he wanted to make me an herbal tea to help with the anxiety and emotions. I feel like I could probably handle that, without any extra help. But if I really do become delusional, then that’s the issue.

1 Like

Hi Starrynight, I hope things improve for you. I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Remember everyone - the research is showing that those people who don’t take medications generally die younger than those who do. While medications are far from perfect - they may be better than the alternative:

4 Likes

I didn’t know that… I thought it was the opposite.

2 Likes

You’re saying what you want to believe - there are no evidence that I’m aware of to support your claims.

This is a very large study - over 20,000 people - so I think its pretty accurate.

I know you don’t want to believe it - but don’t let your bias get in the way of accepting well-done research.

4 Likes

meds give you diabeties metabolic syndrome and brain damage do they not?

2 Likes

and what about the factor of quality of life its a lot easier to drug people into a numbed out stupor theyre not a problem anymore they can dribble and watch tv.
zonked out on phyciatric drugs isn’t really living. it isn’t really dying either its in the middle.,

2 Likes

For me it’s a necessary compromise.

1 Like

If a doctor is zoking you out, try discussing a lower dose or maybe another that doesn’t have the zombie feeling. Haldol the worse for that.

There are threads about how different meds make you feel. Seroquel is good if you have trouble falling asleep at night.

I can read books now and watch tv and work that I had trouble with while sick.
So I gained a few pounds. That’s better than being thin as a rail because you are too sick to eat because you think people are trying to kill you all the time.

I would rather be happy

1 Like

I can’t do these things on my meds. What antipsychotic do you take?

1 Like

If you wanna appreciate life at its truest then go off meds. As long as you will live a healthy lifestyle and will not attempt suicide, you shouldn’t worry much about dying early. Make sure you withdraw properly though. Staying on these meds risks your chances for full recovery, and then some.

2 Likes

My issue or problem is not with the meds - Medications can play an important role in the life of someone living with a severe mental illness like schizophrenia or bipolar.
Personally I have been screwed over by carless and negligent psychiatrists, who placed me on either the wrong med or kept me on higher doses,without monitoring my situation.

The right meds can help, the wrong meds at the wrong dose can make things a lot worse and actually do a lot of damage - physically and mentally.
I am not anti psychiatry, but there are too many careless, incompetent, negligent psychiatrists out there. My current psychiatrist is not one of them.

We also need better meds out there. The current batch of meds cause a lot of physical/metabolic damage - its about time for some real changes in this arena.
It’s not a difficult concept to absorb. We need more effective meds that do not harm us physically.

5 Likes

@katzwoman Seroquel has always knocked me out even on the smallest dose.

1 Like

Yes Seroquel is very sedating. It was suggested to me as I was having nightmares and trouble getting and staying asleep.

Problem solved for me anyway.

1 Like

Well what does your doctor say when you tell them that? It’s your job to tell the doctor what you want to do. Then give them feedback if they have given you a certain med and ask for another and tell them why.

But recovery is always small steps.
I still can’t stand TV commercials and instantly shut off the sound to prevent brain damage.

You can start watching a short nature show with nothing that would be upsetting. No Murders, crimes stuff like that. Try a short comedy. Then if you can follow the plot, move on to a hour show with a more complicated plot etc. then maybe moving onto a DVD movie that you can rewind if you miss something.
Small steps in recovery lead to better things.

1 Like

I’m starting the medication again, and I need to stop being so obsessive. I feel much better now that I’m back on it. Right now I feel very sound, and clear-headed. The only thing I’m struggling with is social isolation. I don’t feel like I have anyone to talk to anymore. I’ve been feeling disconnected from people, and so I’ve been dwelling on thoughts that get me nowhere. Even though I know certain events occurred, I can’t obviously explain supernatural phenomena.

But there are too many secrets for me to be mad. I am afraid to divulge the dots I’ve connected. I’m also still missing a lot of information. My mom tried to divorce my dad, my dad said she refused to post bail when she was in jail. Why would she not want to come home? I feel lied to and betrayed. I don’t trust anyone.

Ask a silly question; get a silly answer.

1 Like