Starting to teach my friend guitar...first lesson yesterday

He shows promise, I gave him a tricky rhythm to start out without being able to teach any other song at the time and he rocked it. I can’t wait…he has been really depressed and seemed happy to be learning…makes me feel great.

2 Likes

I think it would be cool to teach what I know on guitar. I would give them an exercise they can practice endlessly. I would do it for free

1 Like

I can’t teach instruments. My band director would assign me to teach classes at band camp over the summers or work with students in practice rooms when they were struggling. I hated it.

Maybe you weren’t lonely enough?

It’s true that I wasn’t lonely at the time. It honestly wouldn’t have made a difference regarding music.

I do enjoy teaching ESOL, and I like teaching literature as well. One of my degrees is in the field of education. However, music is more of a hobby, and I’ve never been comfortable sharing it with others. It also came very naturally to me, so there was a disconnect between my ability and someone else for whom music didn’t come easily.

Maybe you have an intuitive approach to music playing? I have loved some classical music so much, it was an exalted feeling, I wonder if it will ever return? I know I’ll never enjoy 1940’s big band music. It just left one day, I don’t know why.

1 Like

Ooof. I admittedly never liked Big Band much. Sousa used the French horn as a peck horn, and I took it quite personally. It seemed an affront on my abilities lol.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.