Schizophrenia.com

Started interval training yesterday and

@prettyunbalanced, I’m eating a high protein diet. I’ve tried eating more than 1200 calories. But ever since I’ve been on APs, I need to eat under 1200 to lose weight. I hate being fat. My husband is lean and strong and handsome. I’ve actually had women ask how on Earth someone like me could get someone like him. Plus, I ran into an old high school friend in a parking lot. As she was driving away she said to her husband how bad I look. It’s humiliating. So I’m going to lose weight no matter what, even if I have to be hungry all the time. I’ve decided that I’m going to eat 1200 calories per day for life. With one day a week that I eat 1400 to 1600 calories. I can’t live like this anymore. It’s a miserable life to look this bad.

Often people conflate high protein with sufficient protein to maintain muscle mass and metabolism. Another confusion is between protein-containing foods and protein itself. Typically an ounce of animal foods contains 6-7 grams of protein. A typical rule of thumb protein RDA is one to two grams of protein per kilogram of lean body mass. You might want to look at the requirements for your level of activity and calculate your macronutrients from there for your particular style of diet and goals.

One thing to note is that BMI is a quick and dirty measure that doesn’t apply to all people. One might have enough muscle mass to meet an obese BMI, but not actually have enough fat on them to qualify as actually obese. One might be of normal weight, but have so little muscle and so much fat (skinny fat) as to be actually obese, but of normal BMI.

One sure way to determine body composition (that is the amount of muscle vs. fat) is with a dexascan, but few people would be that curious. BMI as far as obesity is concerned applies to people without much muscle, but I guess that means most people.

2 Likes

I think that once on APs diet has to be restricted. Doctors should tell the patient from the outset that you really have to watch what you eat from now on. Of course, if the doc tells the patient this then they are even more reluctant to take them, but the facts are once on APs the majority of people have a metabolic lowering and become fat.

Also, the meds can make people crave food more (like haldol) did for me before I was taken off it for tardive dyskenesia, nevertheless pizzas and deep fried food surely must be a no no.

I have discovered I am a coeliac and I now have to plan a healthy diet regime for when I get off keto. While on keto I have been avoiding barley, wheat and rye anyway.

Any ideas about a scrumptious healthy diet for a coelaic @prettyunbalanced?

2 Likes

Doctors spend very little time studying nutrition in medical schools unfortunately.

I think that avoidance of grains is a good idea, wheat especially since even if you are not celiac some gluten proteins can lead to autoimmunity anyway.

Take a look at the “Wheat Belly”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.