Ssi or ssdi?

It’s better to apply for SSDI because there’s more money in it and you can work while collecting SSDI. You cannot work while collecting SSI.

Okay, but why would a lawyer tell me I have no case since I’m starting a full time job if you can work?

You can work part time while on ssdi , it’s very difficult to get disability if ur working while applying for it btw.

2 Likes

That explains it! Thanks

Today marks my second time applying for disability. The man that interviewed me at the ssa was very good. Everything went well and quick. I said that i became disabled after i quit my last long term job. I feel bad because i think i should’ve said the day i had my first psychotic break in sept 2014.

Oh well. I might not make it again, but i will appeal.

I also have an interview at a temp agency for a part time data entry position tomorrow. I quit my last job april 8th after 4 days because i felt i couldn’t do the work long term. Call Center job made me uncomfortable.

I just hope and pray everything goes well!

Be as detailed as possible in the application, and definitely have someone vouch for you that you’re really struggling. I applied and was approved the first time. DETAIL!

2 Likes

I will remember that catchme!

so i snagged a part-time job. the day before someone from social security called me to collect further information about my case. i hope that’s a good sign. i gave details, but i wish i could’ve been more honest. it was just hard trying to do a self evaluation on my symptoms. he asked questions like can i go to the store alone and do i have crying spells.

i feel like i shouldn’t report that i just found a job. i still need disability.

if you are not honest they can come after you and make you pay for over pay, they did that to me, just before I got ssi I cashed my last check from walmart. and then I received a letter after getting my ssi that they want to talk to me in person, I went to the meeting and they said I had to pay back my last checks entirely back to social security they took a 16 dollars out every month for two years until I paid them back.

2 Likes

Wow I’m sorry that happened. All for one check. Thank you for the tip. I will let them know about my job

If you are working, you have no case that says you are qualified for SSDI. When you apply for SSDI, you are in effect saying that you are too sick to work. So, if you are working, that negates your case.

2 Likes

this is all too stressful right now tbh. i don’t even know if i can emotionally make it on the job everyday

I live off $823.00/month. It can be done but with only with family support or at least a roommate. I live in a very nice apt. 2 bed 2 bath, indoor pool and gym onsite. Clean no buggers or critters invasions. Nice screened patio for cat and us to enjoy. I pay $645.00/mo in rent. My roommate, Mom, pays $474.00/mo in rent. However, she also pays for a car, car insurance, wireless internet, a lap top for family, Directv. A tv in each room that she paid for all of it. All I own is a Queen Bed/Futon couch from my law practice days. get $194.00 in SNAP (foodstamps) and $50.00 for fuel from a mental health org. I pay for Netflix. Still though, most days I am tortured by demon and can’t think straight. I wish I could work because I could earn $40k-65K a year with my Juris Doctor. But each time I try to work the voices multiply like bacteria and keep me up all night. sigh:cry:

1 Like

I used to work for a law firm that did SSI and SSDI.
SSI = Supplemental Security Income
SSDI = Social Security Disability Insurance

For EITHER of these two benefits, you can only work 20 hours per week and no more. Social Security will deny your claim immediately if you are working over 20 hours at the time of filing, because in their reasoning, if you can work even a little over 20 hours per week, you are “not disabled enough” (their words, not mine).

Basically, SSI is dependent on your household income, your own income, your savings, any and all of your assets and resources minus one vehicle, and additional properties, etc. That means that everyone in your household who has income will count against your benefit amount if it’s SSI and anything (besides your first car) can and will count against your benefit amount. Per Social Security’s website, the current amount you get for SSI is: "$735 for an individual and $1,103 for a couple."
Source: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-benefits-ussi.htm

SSDI is dependent on your earnings and your taxes. The key word here is INSURANCE - Social Security Disability Insurance. Basically, you get what you pay into Social Security, because it is indeed an insurance. Now, SSDI benefit amounts can vary dramatically. It all depends on how much money you made over the last 10 years (depending on age) and how much of that you paid into Social Security.

A Social Security Disability claim takes, on average, 2 full years to be approved. The process is broken up into the following steps:

• Stage one: 4 to 6 months
  • Stage two: file an appeal, wait another 4 to 6 months
  • Stage three: file an appeal with request for court hearing, wait 8 months to 1 year

Most people get approved in stage 3, because that is when you finally get the chance to “prove” your case before a judge.

SSDI is very specific on qualifications based on your age and SSI is very specific on qualifications based on your household income assets and resources. So, the best way to find out if you meet the requirements is to call a lawyer who has a good reputation, and who does screenings for free, and just see if it’s worth applying. You could also just reach out directly to your local Social Security office and inquire there. Do whatever you’re more comfortable with.

“Disability” under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

Source: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/dqualify4.html

Resources
Place to start: https://www.ssa.gov/disability/
SSI: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-understanding-ssi.htm
SSDI: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/dqualify.html

3 Likes

Thank you!!! Very informative!!! God bless you!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing anon25437907! I’m glad you are able to get by in a good living arrangement with resources. I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to get on my own, but looks like I won’t be for awhile. My mom and I just moved into a two family house. She pays $550 rent and works parttime. I’m not paying rent, but I pay my car insurance. I make $11/hr at my new job. 25 hours a week. Not sure if I’ll be able to get disability still.

That’s screwed up can’t you fight it? Doesn’t that violate something in the Americans with disabilities act.

After my 4th hospitalization my parents got the ball rolling on my dissability. I see that there are a lot of posts about people getting denied, but I was accepted for 3 years and then on the 3rd year we see where I’m at. My diagnosis isn’t even sz yet- it’s bipolar with psychotic features… I would try doing it without a lawyer bc when funds are tight, so much of it seems to go to the lawyer. I would try the case worker- I know that at the last place I was hospitalized they mentioned I should be on dissability (I’m 26). There were case workers there and it seemed like they knew what they were doing bc it was a county facility. But think of it this way, if you get denied it’s not a big deal bc is when you eventually get accepted, they’ll compensate you for all those months or years you were denied. And I only get $490 a month and not the highest amount (about $700 In wi) because I live with my parents. It helps but it’s nothing I’ll be able to live off of…

3 Likes

What is your DX?

Schizoaffective disorder and PTSD

1 Like