SSDI SSI For Mental Illness Pay is wack

How shortsighted that can be when you don’t take in the possibilities that could be when you consider that new drugs or treatments could possibly change your ability to work although the costs of those meds and treatments could make you unable to work due to not earning enough pay if they did put you back on your feet but were kicked off medicaid due to the rules. Now I will admit that the side effects can be disabling in the long run but no telling how many years you can work in the meantime.

In poor countries, yes. The US has a much worse disability system than most comparable countries. This is not because you’ve failed, but because of political differences.

1 Like

It’s actually not that bad, it could be worse

1 Like

700-800 USD base amount is poverty here. I don’t know if that money is worth more in the US than here. But you get more than that here for just not having an income. You don’t need to prove that you’re disabled or can’t work and still get much more. The base amount of actual disability here is several times higher.

2 Likes

I get much more but maybe that’s because I have a long work history

1 Like

It is terrible here imo. I don’t have a long work history so I’m getting 830 a month in ssdi. I can work 15 hours and make about 900 before taxes, so I’m doing decently enough to keep afloat. If I literally couldn’t work at all I’d be screwed. 800 barely pays my bills, I’d have no money for food, and I’m lucky enough to have very low rent.

3 Likes

Yes probably. It’s the same here. You get more the more you’ve worked and earned previously.

2 Likes

Here it doesn’t matter whether you’ve worked or not.
The percentage of your disability,
determines the amount of money you will take.
I have 67% disability, and i earn only 315 euros

1 Like

Well they didn’t tell me at 24 that I wasn’t supposed to work again when I was put on SSI. So I went the “straight and narrow” route and worked as a volunteer after getting on my feet. I was told to stay with my Mom and not allowed to drive which made it impossible to do very much which is why I quit. If you knew your government had designated you as never working all your life would you:

1. Drink and smoke since you have no future and getting high is the only way to enjoy life?
  2. Hitchhike across America?
  3. Knock up as many women as you can or get knocked up as often as you can while you are young so at least you’ll have the sex?
  4. Try to work with the government legally to change it?
  5. Try to live with the voices so you can work maybe?
  6. Play by the rules since life isn’t fair anyway?
  7. Quit trying?
1 Like

The US is not good. It is bad. We are the lucky ones who by chance got health care and diagnosed. Many go untreated and are homeless. Why the richest country in the world have such a bad healthcare system and 500000 homeless if not more.

3 Likes

At least everyone has the right to healthcare I assume in most western countries. Except the US.

2 Likes

Are you from the US?

1 Like

Yes. Almost all countries have some form of universal health care. It varies a lot but in most of Europe, economy does not prevent you from getting necessary medical care and usually it’s almost entirely paid for by the state. Health insurance is basically not a thing here in my country. And if you do have health insurance it only covers mostly optional things because the public hospitals are the best at everything else, and trying to compete with them wouldn’t make sense for private companies. Which is good. It shows that it isn’t necessary. There is no law or political action against private health care or health insurance, they just aren’t necessary when you have a good health care system. And we spend a lot less on health care in terms of tax burden than you do in the US, for better health care.

It’s a legitimate opinion that people on disability should not get a lot of money (although I disagree with that), but the US health care system is dysfunctional, and there are many facts that show this.

2 Likes

Yes. I live in Southern California where there’s a huge homeless population and when I go to the beach. I see people I know are suffering Mental Illness if not Schizophrenia/BPD. It is very sad and folks around here complain about this affects their property value rather than figure a way to help them.

Before not being able to work I made 100+K and being SZ - I was bad at life and bad at managing money so I have nothing to show for it.

Til 41, I paid into the system, paid for my own healthcare. My taxes should also help others. My SZ got to the point where I couldn’t work and had to go on SSDI not by choice. Been on it for 2 years now. I get nearly the maximum SSDI pay and its barely getting by here. I am sure people think I should move then but no. This is my home.

Why I am complaining is because the Social Safety Net plan will affect all of us in a positive way if congress and Biden can pass it without 2 senators getting in the way. Mad.

4 Likes

Agreed.

I used to live in West LA – I know what you’re talking about.

2 Likes

I really don’t understand why Americans understand basic universal healthcare is a positive for everyone. Something about our culture here based so much on greed. Even in my family, they are like I don’t want my taxes paying for this and that. And I know they are not paying their fair share of taxes.

4 Likes

You were a very different country just 30 years ago. Something has been causing this progressive change, I don’t know what. But it sounds like you’re beginning to want to change these things. I just hope you can overcome the extreme divide between left and right and the increasing problem with belief in conspiracy theories. Which is becoming a very big problem.

1 Like

Social Security Administration also provides SSDI and SSI income and Medicare prior to retirement.

Yes its an outdated program that is running out of money, and congress is trying to boost it, expand it to help more people and fund it so it doesn’t run out for the our generation and the next.

1 Like

I was on SSDI for a while and I still have Medicare.

My SSDI check was about $2500 a month but I can make a lot more than that working so I went off of it.

I was great full to have it though when I wasn’t able to work.

$2500 is really not enough to live on. That is poverty wages.

US federal poverty line— is remarkably outdated. The government uses a threshold developed in the 60s.

Before the 60s you nor I would even get SSDI before you reach 50 yrs old.

Just advocating how important the Biden Social Safety Net bill is for Americans lives. This would be the biggest thing to help Americans stop since FDR passed social security.

1 Like