Sport scheme to help people with mental health problems unveiled (England)

A £2m programme using sport to improve the lives of people with mental health problems has been announced.

It is hoped the scheme, run by charity Mind with funding from Sport England, will help 75,000 people.

They will be offered help to join sports clubs, take up a new activity or go to the gym as part of the project.

It will be launched in eight areas of England next year, with £1.5m of National Lottery funding from Sport England and £514,000 raised by Mind.
‘Significant obstacles’

Mind chief executive Paul Farmer said physical activity could play a “key role” in recovery from mental health issues like anxiety and depression and in staying well in the long term.

“However, mental ill-health in itself can create significant obstacles that prevent people from taking up sport in the first place,” he added.

“Feelings of low self-confidence, exhaustion or fear of crowded spaces can seem insurmountable when facing a mental health problem.”

Grassroots sports body Sport England will help provide “bespoke sports programmes” that will help thousands of people “access sport as part of their recovery and ongoing health”, said Mr Farmer.

Sports coaches taking part on the scheme will receive training to understand the issues faced by those with mental health problems.

The target is for 25,000 people to be helped in the first 15 months of the project.

1 Like

Did what you read mention schizophrenia?

No- but as people with schizophrenia can experience anxiety and depression …

But also other things.

Of course. I mentioned anxiety and depression because that was mentioned in the article.

Even just stepping out the door and getting a breathe of air can have a ginormous impact.

Every now and then I go walk in the grass or just sit in the sun. It makes me feel as “one” with my surroundings.

Yes, I think I would benefit from the more solitary exercise. Where I walk there are a lot of cars.

Children who go onto develop psychosis/schizophrenia at school are often seen as having problems with sports. This often results in being a catalyst for bullying and being ostracised .
This can put off adults who were bad at sports from sporting activities.
There therefore needs to be a change in attitude at school level from sport as competition and
a passport or barrier to popularity to something that can be beneficial for the individual no matter how skilled they are.
Children should be taught that bullying and ostracising others for poor sporting ability is abusive and wrong.
Schools have a vital role to play in ensuring that future adults are not put off from trying sporting activities.