Spending some money! ( For Computer Nerds )

So all this behaving is good for my bank balance and I’m think I’m going to pull the trigger on a computer upgrade this wed. My gaming computer is 2 years old now and I don’t think it’s time to rebuild just yet. Just going to save my coin and wait for new ryzen and see how that goes. I think it willl be a better market.

Still. Going to pull the trigger on a rtx 3080. Not the best market but I game in 2k and I think it’s probably a more sensible decision this point in time before the late year release of the 4000 series if it’s even called that. It’ll be enough to take over to a new platform and going to start saving to build a new computer at the end of the year…it’ll give me something to do and save for.

Looks like I can buy in at 1.8k but that comes with a $100 steam voucher which I’ll use for Elden Ring for sure…so that is express delivery so hope to be gaming by thursday afternoon! Comments??

4 Likes

Hey mate. My nephew games at 2k too. He just got a founders edition 3080. He signed up for a discord server that sends messages the moment new cards come on the market - avoids the scalpers.

He loves his 3080 at 2k. Everything is max. Too early for 4K gaming imo so you have the best setup right now

3 Likes

Have fun @rogueone ! I can’t get into games easily anymore so am a little envious. I used to be a big pc gamer when younger.

The only good thing about that is that I no longer have to upgrade my computer to keep up with current software, or keep up with current hardware capabilities. So no money out of pocket.

Still envious though :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yeah matey. I’m running a 8700k at stock. It runs way too hot for otherwise but it will keep me in the game before an upgrade. By the end of the year it’ll be new ryzen and maybe intel has sorted out there stuff…I think it’s a good choice now and glad your nephew is happy with the 3080. It looks like a good bit of kit!

1 Like

I watch few movies and stuff these days. My computer and gaming keeps me going so it’s worth the investment. So hard as everything is so bloody expensive now. My last card the 1080 is a great card for it’s day but it was like 1k. Now I’m paying near double that…bloody cyrptominers and price gouging.

2 Likes

I feel the xbox is my choice for a gaming system.

Why is pc gaming better?

Are there more games?

1 Like

Pc gaming is usually better hardware but it’s things like mods that help games. Some of the good games have that whole mod community. It’s different. I like the mouse and keyboard because I’m used to it. Others need a controller to enjoy the pc experience for certain games but I’ve always been a pc man since the days of 8 bit graphics…Imagine paying 2k for an 8 bit computer but we did stupid things like that back in the day!

1 Like

2k is the resolution? I’m playing 4k on the xbox

I think I see - PC has tons of options for gaming input + mods + cheats

1 Like

Yeah and with a computer you might pull better frames at 4k with the right hardware. It’s hard. It costs way more and it’s a different beast for sure but those mods and stuff is another animal and I don’t even use them mostly!

1 Like

Interesting - i wonder if people will make a chip mod for the xbox.

Cause I’m running controller and mouse - through a dongle to play xbox - overwatch.

But - a custom computer rig - is really expensive - the ryzen chip is so new - and the intel chip too. The graphics cards i would want the best i heard the 3080? Which is super expensive. I guess those are the upgrades - and the rest is stuff you don’t need to upgrade. Like if you already have enough RAM.

1 Like

Yes. You can add more ram etc. You certainly will get way more performance out of games but the hardware costs money and it’s a lot more than a console. I think the advantage of computer is that you can buy into the market at what price you can afford. Most gaming computers perform above consoles and you get the flexibility of things like mods etc but it’s years since I’ve used a console so not sure of that experience.

1 Like

Well - they say its 4k - and every game just needs to be optimized and its not yet. It is good enough on my 4k TV.

But - its all in one un-upgradeable. Kind of makes life easier not to have too many settings.

I am sure a fully buffed up pc rig - will blow the graphics performance of an xbox. Guess some people have super high res monitors too.

1 Like

2k is a reasonable compromise and where you get good gains in pc gaming as the great @Jimbob has said in this thread. To run high refresh rate and resolution takes some work but I’d imagine my current setup is a quite a bit above consoles when it comes to fps.

2 Likes

Oh yes refresh rates- thats a compromise on the console.

1 Like

i remember installing my gforce graphics card in my old dell tower. that was a good computer. i was frustrated with Elden Ring. too aggressive. said you could explore the world when i bought it but its just a bash em up with everyone attacking you. i pictured friendly cities to explore or something.

1 Like

i dont think i could ever afford an xx80 or xx90 series. when i had alot of money i spent $519 on an rx 6600, but then the price drops close to msrp down to $379 a few months later
:neutral_face:

1 Like

A 3080 is overkill for 2K unless you need Ray Tracing. I use a heavily OCed 2080 Ti 2115mhz core 16ghz vram (Close to Time Spy score of 3080) at 4K and it gets over 60fps in most games at max graphics without RT but for COD I use RT. My monitor is 4K 60Hz HDR. The exceptions are Cyberpunk and RDR2, I use DLSS Quality for these and they average 50-60fps. I have Micron vram, wish I had Samsung which reaches 17.2Ghz VRAM and 17400 Time Spy score. I get 16500 graphics score in Time Spy. Stock 3080 is 17650.

1 Like

Wish they had DLSS for AC Valhalla but with Volumetric clouds at minimum and everything else at max I get 55-60fps. I read online that volumetric clouds are useless and disabling them gives a 20% fps boost. Btw I use Vsync and lock fps to 60.

1 Like

you can use NIS for games that dont have dlss. idk if its as good tho. i red that fsr has been released on driver level so can be used in any game

1 Like

Whats NIS? AC doesn’t support FSR afaik

1 Like