Sorry to the forum/community

I mean I’m not planning on the costume being scary…

But I’m definitely not dressing up as a nurse😂

@Aziz

3 Likes

Alright, let’s not get my thread shut down >_<

The word Gypsy is a slur. Please stop using it.

1 Like

If its your history, it’s all good.

2 Likes

Okay, cool, just wanted to clarify

@anon4362788

Is it me? but I didn’t find anything racist about those costumes.

Maybe it’s my age.

2 Likes

well, I guess my mother didn’t agree when I was 10 years old.

touchy, touchy today.

In that article? I must say, neither I.

That was how many years ago? Racism was normalized.

1 Like

I’m not trying to argue with you, but it can be seen as respected, and free spirit.

Even in the early 2000’s… my mom let me dress up as a Native American…

As an adult I can totally see how that’s odd/inappropriate/offensive…

I would never let my kid dress up like that.

(Hope this comment doesn’t get flagged😬)

@Daze
@anon4362788

2 Likes

ha, Sherman Alexie for President!

1 Like

I don’t understand the reference😅

@Daze

a modern native writer, he’s hilarious, and could really shoot hoops.

about time we had a native in office.

1 Like

Yeah I just looked him up,

Now I get it.

1 Like

As a general rule I try to avoid dressing up as anything having to do with ethnic groups different than my own, even non minority ethnic groups or other cultural defining groups such as religions. I went to spirit halloween and there was a whole section of voodoo witch doctors, and I just find that to be horribly disrespectful. There was also a section for sexy nuns, and that made me cringe too.

In fact now that I think about it, they had a lot of sections that were sort of promoting appropriation, such as a sugar skull section. I remember they had a body suit with Maui’s tattoos from Moana in the kid section a couple years back.

With that being said, there are ways to dress up as a a psychic or medium without appropriating cultures.

1 Like

Also I just recently found out that the g word is a slur. I remember the Romani being described with that word in history books about the holocaust and so I thought it was an appropriate term.

I wouldn’t carry guilt for your threads earlier, we don’t know what we don’t know, and now we know not to use that word. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I ate pizza am I racist cause it comes from Italy ? Am I allowed to eat sushi or is that offensive to Japan ?

Just a thought.

2 Likes

Totally different and you know it. Dressing up to pretend to be another culture is offensive to them.

Eating their food isn’t. Totally different things. Unless, of course, you dress up like an ethnic group to serve the food.

1 Like

I wonder what you’d you think of dressing up as Jackie Kennedy in a blood stained blue dress suit, and wig?
it’s history.