Some more recipes

Mushroom Penne Primavera
Ingredients

1-2 tbsp olive oil
250g wild mushroom selection pack
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
150g broccoli florets
1 can Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
125ml milk
30g grated Parmesan cheese
200g medium tube-shaped pasta, cooked and drained

Step 1

Heat the oil in a high sided frying pan and cook the mushrooms, peppers, broccoli until tender. Add the can of soup, milk and ½ the cheese
Step 2

Bring the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover, cook for 5 minutes.
Step 3

Add the cooked pasta and stir, serve.
Serves 4

1 tbsp vegetable oil
100g mushrooms (sliced)
1 red pepper (sliced)
10 cherry tomatoes (halved)
1 can of Campbell's Vegetable Condensed Soup
200ml water
330g cooked pasta
100g grated cheese

Step 1

Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the sliced mushrooms and pepper for 5 minutes.
Step 2

Add the cherry tomatoes and the soup along with the water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 3

Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish and stir through the cooked pasta until evenly combined.

Sprinkle over the cheese and grill until the cheese is golden brown.

CHEATS CHICKEN A LA CREME (serves 2 or freeze half)

2 chicken breasts

1 green pepper (sliced)

1 tin Batchelors Cream of Chicken Soup

Fry the chicken breasts to seal in flavour place in oven proof dish

Fry pepper lightly place in dish with chicken

Cover chicken and pepper with tin soup

Cover oven proof dish with silver foil or oven proof lid

Cook in medium oven for 45 mins

Serve with peas and rice

6 Likes

Keep cooking…

Not tried this but it sounds good. A one pot recipe

Spanish rice and prawn

1 onion, sliced
1 red and 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
50g chorizo, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
250g easy cook basmati rice (we used Tilda)
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g raw, peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen

Boil the kettle. In a non-stick frying or shallow pan with a lid, fry the onion, peppers, chorizo and garlic in the oil over a high heat for 3 mins. Stir in the rice and chopped tomatoes with 500ml boiling water, cover, then cook over a high heat for 12 mins.
Uncover, then stir – the rice should be almost tender. Stir in the prawns, with a splash more water if the rice is looking dry, then cook for another min until the prawns are just pink and rice tender.
1 Like

Yum. sounds good!

RICH BEEF STEW serves 3 or 2 if hungry

1 lb (450 g) diced braising or stewing beef
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 carrots peeled and chopped
Half punnet mushroomed, halved or quartered dependent on size
1 tbs tomato puree
1 beef stock cube
750 ml fluid (can be water but ideally made up of mix of beer or wine & water)
1 tsp paprika
1bay leaf
1 tsp mixed herbs

Place all ingredients in slow cooker put on high and cook all day. Add salt & pepper to taste if gravy needs thickening, mix a paste of 1 heaped dessert spoonful Corn flour into 2 dessert spoons cold water, and pour into stew about 15 mins before serving stirring until well mixed.

Serve with boiled or jacket potatoes, or rice.

Will freeze.

CHICKEN CASSEROLE (for 2 persons)

4 skinless chicken thighs (to remove skin just pull from one side to another)
4 slices bacon (chopped / sliced)
1 onion sliced
1 clove garlic chopped
Half tub mushrooms left whole
1 pint chicken stock
Tablespoon tomato puree
Teaspoon mixed herbs

Place all ingredients in oven proof dish, cover and cook in medium oven for approx 1 he

Serve with rice or potatoes and carrots

LAMB HOT POT (serves 2-3)

1lb diced lamb
1 diced onion
1 small chopped Swede
2 chopped carrotts
3 medium or 2 large spuds, peeled and sliced
1 pint lamb stock
Knob butter / Marge
1 dessertful olive oil
Teaspoon mixed herbs

Using olive oil Seal lamb in frying pan (fry quickly in oil for a couple of minutes on each side to brown meat

Drain off oil and place meat with onions, carrots, Swede, herbs and stock in ovenproof dish. Layer potatoes on top and spread knob of butter on top layer.

Cook inn medium oven for approx 90 mins. Spuds should be cooked through, and browned on top.

1 Like

I love the idea of the hot pot. I don’t remember ever eating lamb though. Does it work in a slow cooker?

Yes you can cook lamb in a slow cooker. Here is one slow cooker recipe for lamb that i found.

Ingredients
Serves: 6

1kg lamb chops chump or mid loin or ½ lamb chops / ½ lean steak
2 large carrots, sliced thin
4 med potatoes, sliced thin
2 small onions, sliced thin
enough beef stock to cover
salt and pepper to taste

Trim chops add to pot. Slice potatoes, carrots and onions add to meat, cover with stock, season to taste. Cook on high for one hour, then turn down to low for about eight hours. Serve with crusty bread.

1 Like

Thank you for this one.

I love my slow cooker. If I forget an leave it on… that is what your supposed to do. I’ve never started a kitchen fire with it. I look forward to trying this one next when I can get to the market and get the ingredients.

Prawn and Peppercorn Pasta with Courgettes and Tomatoes

Ingredients for 4

300 g dried fusilli
2 tbsp olive oil
3 medium sized courgettes (about 300 g), thinly sliced at an angle
300 g cooked, peeled prawns or king prawns
200 g pack Philadelphia Simply Stir Creamy Peppercorn
125 g cherry tomatoes, halved

Instructions
1 Step

Cook the fusilli in a large pan of boiling water according to the pack instructions.
2 Step

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan. Add the courgette slices and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
3 Step

Drain the pasta well and add to the frying pan with the courgettes. Add the prawns and Simply Stir and heat until warmed through. Stir in the tomato halves and toss lightly together. Season to taste with salt and serve immediately in warm pasta dishes.

Creamy Peppercorn Sausage and Bacon Midweek Treat Supper

Ingredients for 4

8 chipolata sausages
3 lean back bacon rashers, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
200 g pack Philadelphia Simply Stir Creamy Peppercorn
250 g frozen peas, cooked as directed on the pack
600 g potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed with a little milk

Instructions
1 Step

Dry Fry the sausages in a large non-stick frying pan for about 6-7 minutes or until beginning to brown. Drain away and discard most of the fat then add the bacon and onion and fry gently for another 10-12 minutes or until all the ingredients are cooked.
2 Step

Add the Simply Stir and heat through gently. If the sauce is a touch thick, just add a little milk. Serve immediately with the mashed potato and the cooked peas.

1 Like

Philadelphia, Tomato and Pesto Pasta

Ingredients for 2

150 g dried fusilli pasta
1 tsp oil
150 g mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp green pesto
100 g Philadelphia Light
200 g cherry tomatoes, halved

Instructions
1 Step

Cook the pasta as directed on the pack.
2 Step

Meanwhile, heat the oil and gently fry the mushrooms. Add the pesto and Philly. Stir over a gentle heat until smooth.
3 Step

Add the drained pasta and tomatoes. Season to taste. Stir until coated and serve in warm pasta dishes.

Stir Fried Pork Pasta with Simply Stir Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients for 4

300 g penne pasta
2 tsp oil
450 g pork fillet, cut into thin strips
1 onion
100 g mushrooms, sliced
200 ml Philadelphia Simply Stir Mushroom

Instructions
1 Step

Cook the pasta in boiling water according to pack instructions.
2 Step

Whilst it is cooking, heat the oil in a pan and cook the pork and onion over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned on all sides.
3 Step

Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes until softened. Reduce the heat and add the Simply Stir, heating for 1-2 minutes.
4 Step

Drain the pasta and stir in the pork and mushroom sauce., serve.

Chutney Chicken

Ingredients for 4

1 tbsp oil
4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 tsp curry powder (medium strength)
100 g Philadelphia Light
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp mango chutney
240 g rice (Basmati and Wild rice is good)
broccoli, cooked, to serve

Instructions
1 Step

Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken for approx. 5 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned (juices will run clear when tested with a sharp knife).
2 Step

Reduce the heat and add the curry powder, cook for 1 minute then add the Philly, milk and mango chutney - stir until the Philly melts and forms a creamy sauce and it is warmed all the way through.
3 Step

Serve with rice and broccoli.

Creamy Mushroom & Bacon Gnocchi

Ingredients for 4

500 g gnocchi
2 tsp olive oil
3 rashers bacon, trimmed of fat, cut into strips
150 g flat mushrooms, sliced
1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
60 g Philadelphia Light, softened
3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
20 g basil leaves, plus extra for garnish

Instructions
1 Step

Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes, or until gnocchi floats to the surface. Drain.
2 Step

Heat oil in a frying pan. Cook bacon, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until browned. Remove from pan. Add Philly, milk and garlic to the pan and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until smooth and heated through.
3 Step

Return bacon mixture to the pan with the gnocchi. Toss to coat, and continue cooking over low heat until gnocchi is heated through. Stir in basil leaves and serve immediately topped with extra basil.

sausage casserole:

6 sausages
1 pepper
1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 large carrots
2 large courgettes
Olive or other oil for frying
Dried mixed herbs of your choice
Pork stock cube
Tomato passata, tinned tomatoes or tomato puree
Tinned beans of your choice (butter beans, chick peas, borlotti for example)

Peel and chop the carrots. Peel and chop the onion. Peel and chop or crush the garlic. Chop up the pepper.

Then put a large pan on the stove, the type with a lid. Turn on the stove, let the pan get hot, then add the oil and allow to get hot. Put in the onion and fry for a short time. Then add the garlic. Fry for a short while. Add the pepper. Then the carrots and courgettes. Keep stirring so nothing sticks. Add the mixed herbs too at this point. Have a kettle of water boiled and put the stock cube in a cup. Pour on the water and stir and dissolve. Add to the pan, put the lid on, and turn the heat down a little.

Let the vegetables cook in their own juices for a short time, then add the sausages. Put the lid back on and let it cook on a low heat for an hour or so. Then add the tomato passata or tinned tomatoes, as well as some tomato puree if you like. Turn the heat up temporarily cos the tomatoes will cool the dish down. When it’s bubbling, turn the heat down again.

Later on, take out the sausages, slice through them to make little sausage circles. Put them back in the pan and continue cooking. When it’s almost ready to serve, drain the canned beans and add them, and leave to cook a little longer. If you like, instead of tinned beans, you could cut up baby sweetcorn instead and add that, but this will require longer cooking.

1 Like

@firemonkey I know you said you don’t cook much like this any more, but Wow, everything looks so good.

You have eaten well in your life. I keep copying and pasting stuff you post. Thank you for the pasta recipes. I do love noodles and pasta.

Scotch pancakes

75g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sugar
112 mls evaporated milk
1 small egg
1/2 oz of butter
oil for frying

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Make a well in centre and pour in the milk. Then add egg and melted butter. Beat well till pancake batter is smooth.

Heat a well-greased girdle (griddle)or pan. Drop a spoonful of batter at a time on to it.
Do as many spoonfuls as the girdle will take. Cook on one side until it browns.
When it starts to rise up and bubble, turn then over and bake on the other side
When cooked - place on a clean tea-towel, cover them over until the next batch is ready

Serve while still warm with golden syrup, whipped cream or maybe homemade raspberry jam.

1 Like

Banana and raisin loaf

75g butter
100 g caster sugar
large egg, beaten
200 g self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
100 g seedless raisins
2 large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
2 oz chopped walnuts(optional)

Grease a 1lb loaf tin. Put butter and sugar in a bowl,beat together until light and fluffy.then beat in egg a little at a time. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder and fold into creamed mixture until evenly blended. Stir in raisins,bananas and walnuts(if using)… Spoon into tin and bake in preheated moderate oven(180c/350 f or gas mark 4) for 50 -60 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.

Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool

I used to make this a lot when my wife was alive.

I love pancakes a lot. That is my second favorite food. Today is Wednesday, meaning, on Friday, I can get the stuff needed to make this and have pancakes this weekend.

Thank you a lot for this. This just brightened my day.

Scotch pancakes are smaller and thicker .

1 Like

I like the Mushroom Penne Primavera recipie. Peppers and broccoli are both packed with Vitamin C which is an important anti-oxidant vitamin in mental health!

All the recipes are mouth watering. Thank for sharing.