Some good meds to try for akathisia

Hi everyone, do you guys know of any good meds to try for akathisia? I am on cogentin now and it works but I still have it. I think the cogentin is for muscle stiffness or something.

2 Likes

I take Trazodone for akathisia. 50mg in the morning and 25mg in the evening. Completely eliminated it.

I take my antipsychotic med twice a day, so I take Trazodone at the same time with it.

I had to play around with dosages. I started with 25mg and worked my way up, when I hit 75mg my akathisia went away. I believe Trazodone can be taken up to 300mg so there is a lot of room for me to play with it if my akathisia comes back. But so far so good.

1 Like

Thanks for this info I am on trazadone 100 mg would this help or should I take half? lol I have not been taking it as I should I had no idea it helped with akathisia but will totally read that article!

1 Like

Well everyone is different, there is no guarantee it will work for you, but I’d say give it a try.

If I take my AP without Trazodone about an hour later Akathisia kicks in and its awful, so now I just take Trazodone at the same time as my AP.

I take 30mg of Lurasidone (Latuda) twice a day. If I take just 25mg of Trazodone with 30mg of Lurasidone in the morning I experience mild Akathisia, so that is why I take 50mg in the morning,

Then in the evening when I take another 30mg of Lurasidone I only need 25mg of Trazodone and I’m fine.

60mg/day of Lurasidone is a fairly low dose for that AP so I don’t need a lot of Trazodone to counter the Akathisia. If I was on a higher dose of Lurasidone I would probably need a higher dose of Trazodone.

You’re going to have to play around with Trazodone and find the dosage that works for you, if it works for you at all. I would recommend taking the Trazodone at the same time as your AP. If you are on a high dosage of your particular AP and 100mg of Trazodone doesn’t work, try 150 or 200mg and see what happens, but do this under your doctors supervision.

Trazodone isn’t typically used for Akathisia, Proponolol seems to be the go to med for it, but I told my doctor I didn’t want to use that because it’s a blood pressure medication and I don’t want to mess with my cardiac system. If need be print out that article and show it to your doctor, he may be more willing to give it a try and prescribe you a higher dosage of Trazodone. It’s from a reputable source.

1 Like

Propranolol. I take 10 mg twice a day.

1 Like

I take propranolol too. I’ve noticed no change.

2 Likes

I take cogentin. I don’t sleep well without it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.