Social welfare - your opinion

Its 210 euros in estonia plus a livingspace and if you work part time you still get the social money.

1 Like
1 Like

Kiddos for such a spirit! I hope you gonna make it ā€¦but dont be harsh on yourself even if you dont.

I clear $1,150 a month on SSDI. If Angie didnā€™t help out with half the bills I wouldnā€™t be able to make it probablyā€¦I rent a house and bills are sky high in the summer, plus having to pay for the lawn to be mowedā€¦glad itā€™s almost fall weather !!

I get the feeling that USA is very diverse regarding the amount of social welfare. :thinking: Interesting. The whole eastern european region here varies almost unnoticeable.

@metime that is almost like this

5 Likes

I live in Canada and I can tell you how it is in the province of QuĆ©bec by my experience, but I donā€™t know how it is in other provinces.

I had first to prove that I have a serious medical reason the get the maximum amount for welfare. The government doesnā€™t give it easily. It will first try to contradict the diagnosis of your doctor to avoid giving you the maximum amount. But after many years, you succeed with perseverance in getting the maximum amount of welfare which is here about 900$ a month. I have lived with that a lot of years. But I had to live with my mother because I had not enough to pay an apartment.

Also in 2009, I got a financial help from the government to live in an apartment. It is really hard to get. Very few persons have it. So the government was paying most of my apartment cost.

In 2008, I got from the government my 23 000$ student loan to be erased for humanitarian reason, because I couldnā€™t pay it. Very few persons get that.

When I became healthy again with the antipsychotic, I got from the government a grant to help me come back studying in computer science. Almost everything was paid. The government prefer to pay a study program for some years and see the person getting afterwards a job and pay taxes over seeing a person stay on social welfare all his life. Again here, very few person can get that.

So as you can see, I have been very lucky but I have been very persevering to get all that from the government.

Now I still have help from the government even if I have a job because you still receive help for 4 years after you get back a job. My medication and the dentist is totally paid by the government. Nothing more.

3 Likes

The biggest chunk of change in the USA budget goes for the military.

3 Likes

Australia is increasingly becoming hard. Iā€™m on disability but most people now are put on a cheaper rate as being unemployed. Itā€™s a tricky way around it as the governement looks to cut back everything these days. There is pressure on everyone even those on disability.

Social welfare is necessary for a society. We are humans and thereā€™s enough wealth to go around. It becomes unreasonable that all the wealth is accumulated amongst a select group of peopleā€¦Just an opinion!

We used to have great social welfare here but that has been seriously eroded over the last 20 years. I surviveā€¦but I live with my parents and Iā€™m 47 and donā€™t work. Makes it hard to do a lot of things but it could be worse!

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to see more help getting the able bodied disabled back to work because I think working is good for everyone. The truly disabled would have more funds if we could get the partially disabled working and they may have better recovery working and more income. Also some people really know how to live quite well off the system and some of them have no disability at all. Would be nice if people that really needed it could get enough to live on. Easier said than done .

4 Likes

We get zero welfere money in our nepal ā€¦so fed up ā€¦

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, are you able to work at all?

1 Like

Hi bro

I cant work now due to sz ā€¦
I am low functional by the way.
Zero disability benefitsā€¦

2 Likes

I bet it sucks. It is similar here, specially because we have a large population of war victims ( disabled ex army members) which is additional burden on state budget.

2 Likes

@shutterbug if you didnā€™t work but went on disability would it a better or worse choice regarding your income?

In case if someone is disabled in ur countryā€¦does she/he get disability moneyā€¦i have heard most of the country in europe have benefit provision ā€¦!!!

Yes they can get disability but in the amount that is impossible to live through the month.

1 Like

I am a staunch believer in social welfare. I firmly believe the measure of how civilised a country is is how it treats its disadvantaged and disabled.

2 Likes

A country has to be rich to support poor and disabled ā€¦i am from third world country here is no social security ā€¦

1 Like

This is really too bad @far_cry0, I have empathy for you. :disappointed:

1 Like