So is black coffee before a fasting blood test not allowed?

I was hoping to have some coffee the morning of the bloods but it looks like that is not allowed

1 Like

That is true. It is not permissible.

1 Like

I drink black coffee before blood work…never affects it…at least I get high marks on my blood work even though I drink black coffee…I am a bear without it.

1 Like

It depends on the test and who you ask. I’ve heard different stories from the phlebotomists and doctors. But you’re probably better off to air on the side of caution and not do it.

3 Likes

I think coffee can effect cortisol which in turn can effect insulin and sugar

1 Like

I had a fasting blood test done this morning and the instructions said fasting 9-12 hours prior and also no tea or coffee.

1 Like

Yeah my bloods are at 11:10am so I will fast for 12 hours before that

1 Like

When fasting for blood tests, you may still drink water, plain coffee, or black tea. Take your regular medications unless you are specifically told to take them only with food.

1 Like

nice link firemonkey I think its a great I dea to drink these thing before fasting b/c the wait for the doctors is a big thing.

No. If it’s within the 10 hours before then no dice. You can have two after your bloodwork though.

Drinking black coffee before bloodwork is fine.
I do it all the time.

My gal, who is an RN, always drinks coffee before blood, but dang if I know why she can’t get permission to do so.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.