Smart ass comments

I agree it depends who your saying it too because it could have a really bad effect on some people, I remember times when it has effected me badly.
So sometimes I try and make sure when speaking to other people I don’t offend them in anyway @BarbieBF

1 Like

I tried it and its actually hard to come up with my own smart ass comments. Interesting that whats involved is a part of the brain than involves common sense and logic. Both attributes affected by schizophrenia.

1 Like

ugh my sister is the sarcasm queen. She uses sarcasm to the extent that i don’t know if she is being mean or honest or what the hell and its SUPER frustrating and annoying. I’ll be like hey, that was rude, and she’s like I was just being sarcastic. Almost like she uses it to be mean and says oh no its just sarcasm. No thank you

2 Likes

My sis can be really sarcastic. She hasn’t been with me. I’ve never been the brunt.

But she will warn me when she’s going to pull out that sword… “If that guy doesn’t back off I am going to get very sarcastic in a moment.” Then it’s go for blood time.

She does use her sarcasm as a weapon saved for smart ass receptionist at the hospital, jerky clerks and sour ladies at the DMV.

This is the dilema of the information age. When information is power. It used to be information meant nothing to anybody… but today, its like a thrown stone.

If you want to be smart… if you want to know things, you have to learn how to do it without condescending (like that bookstore clerk did). Without acting like ya got something up on people. Otherwise its no different from somebody throwing a random punch… its the quandary of the 21rst century. And its not just about knowing… or learning. Its about knowledge in the absence of wisdom. Of politeness. Of courtesy. We have this endless source of information… about people, about things. And yet we’re all still the cavemen. We don’t know how to use it… We don’t know that its not just about what ya know. A person of high knowledge, not wise with it, is doomed. Accused by a stranger of a thrown stone…

I get in this sort of trouble all the time. I know things that chastise me from everybody else. That leave me in the only cave on the block thats not a club…

1 Like

I guess my replying with “nugatory” would qualify as a smart ass comment. Smart ass comments make a person look smarter than the person the comment is aimed at. It’s a form of vanity. We’re trying to get a rise out of someone, to hurt them. We’re inevitably going to get our comeuppance as I did from someone I misjudged. Do no harm in your speech.

We can’t inhibit our smart ass comments because it is part of our nature. At times it’s healthy to challenge the wits of others. You don’t need to walk around silent all your life. Often times I come up with a delayed smart comment, well it’s too late by then. I believe being a wise guy and being sarcastic are two separate things?

That was a excellent post william81. Knowledge in the absence of wisdom. All the time we are trying to figure something out. And it’s usually that person in the know who you ask that throws a verbal punch. If people come up to me not knowing I try to hold back being ‘smart’ because in that manner it may be insulting to a person.

Here is my last smart ass question at http://physics.stackexchange.com

The theory of special relativity is based on the principle that there are no preferred reference frames.

Step 1) Imagine that I am in motion within the universe.
step 2) From my point of view it is therefore valid to say that it is not I that is in motion, but that it is the universe that is in motion.

Thus the question arises.

From where does the universe move from, and to where does it move to ?

The answers might be interesting.

I was hiking with a meet up group and this guy was in a deep hole and I said hay everybody lets through rocks at Matt. He got a worried look on his face so I said I was just kidding. Obviously I wouldn’t do that to anyone.

Sarcasm isn’t always a bad thing, it can be used in perfectly kind ways, everything seems to be like that.

Smart ass comments do not have to be a bad thing.

1 Like