Sleep problems

I’ve been having sleep problems for the past 2 years and haven’t been sleeping peacefully in a while. The problem is that as soon I get to sleep I start having dreams and as soon as the dream finishes I wake up. This happens at least 10 times during night. I go back to sleep and wake up again over and over again. I’ve been taking Benadryl mixed with .5 mg of klonopin and it keeps my mind shut up for a few hours and then it starts all over again.

I’ve tried 6 different medications and this is the combo that has worked the best and and even then it doesn’t work all the time. I also take Invega Sustenna 156mg injection and Wellbutrin 100mg. I don’t think it’s the side effects of these medications because when I first started to develop symptoms it started with Dream’s and me dealing with the same problem and it seems to be getting worse. The last few weeks I had been sleeping peacefully and all of a sudden it started happening again.

I was hoping that with time this would go away just like all of my other symptoms and my depression is non existent as well. I’m doing a lot better but this sleep problem has me worried. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2 Likes

Is it good or bad dreams?
There is no med for dreams my pdoc said.

Have you tried melatonin?

1 Like

First things first when it comes to not getting proper sleep! If you are not doing it already stop taking a drug that causes sleeplessness. That is caffeine. Remove all caffeine from your diet.

Avoid alcohol too if you can’t sleep properly. Alcohol causes sleep disturbance scientifically proven.

If you don’t have either of these things, then sleep rituals and routines need to be set. That is no napping during the day. Go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time every day. It takes awhile to get used to it, but it works.

Good luck on your journey. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the beginning it was bad dreams and random ones mixed in. I had a very dysfunctional childhood so I would have dreams about a lot of the traumas I dealt with. I started therapy 2 months ago and a lot of those dreams have stopped so now I have random dreams and once in a while I’ll have a nightmare.

Yes I tried melatonin, I also tried a tea (can’t remember the name) for sleep and none of them worked.

I stopped drinking caffeine/coffee a year ago. It wasn’t helping me and making me very tired and lethargic. Since I’ve stopped drinking coffee my energy levels are a lot stable and consistent. So no caffeine for me.

I usually sleep between 12:30AM and 1:00AM and wake up around 2:00PM. Even when I keep waking up and I still stay in bed trying to get more sleep instead of just getting out of bed.

I also wanted to add that I meditate for 30mins before going to bed and don’t use any screens while in bed.

1 Like

It used to be traditional to have two sleeps per night in the olden times.

I go to bed around 11pm and I too, wake up most nights at around 3 or 4 am. I get up, have a cup of tea and then meditate for 30 minutes. I am up around an hour and then return to bed. I then sleep until 9am.

Sometimes I am straight back to sleep, others not, but I still get up around the same time.

It is ok to get up and have two sleeps a night. Not everyone is a full 8hours or more. We are all different.

2 Likes

A friend of mine swears by valerian root, other than that I really don’t know what to suggest. It sounds like you are doing all the right things

Have you tried Seroquel?

I tried Valerian root as well didn’t do anything for me.

Yes I tried seroquel but it made me gain weight as well. It stopped working after 2 months.

You know the funny thing is that my dad wakes up at random times during the night as well. He will watch a little tv or go on his cellphone and then go back to bed. I think I’ll try this method and see if it helps. I know that there is a term for this I can’t remember what it’s called. It starts with hypno something.

1 Like

hypnogogic, but it means the malleable dream like state that you enter between deep sleep and waking, I think. :slight_smile:

I think you mean biphasic sleep:

2 Likes

You got it!! That’s what it is. Your sharp my friend. My memory seems to be deteriorating too I think because of my sleep. But I’m going to try your method of just getting out of bed, maybe read or meditate for a little bit and then go back to sleep and see if it works.

Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I noticed something weird recently. I haven’t masturbated in almost a month because of the sexual side effects of the medications and I finally masturbated 2 days in a row and the dreams stopped and I slept very peacefully for the past 3 days.

1 Like

I take mirtazapine which cause dreams, however for me I get nightmares since starting them. My pDoc recommended Prazosin off label for ptsd treatment that can reduce nightmares/dreams.

I wake up a lot in the night.

How active are you during the day?
If you don’t use a lot of energy, maybe your sleep doesn’t get deep enough because you don’t get naturally tired.
And maybe you sleep for so long because your sleep is inefficient.
Try to work at getting up after 8 hours regardless of how tired you are. Maybe try to use your body more during the day.

2 Likes

I’m working on incorporating an hour long walk into my days. I’ve been working a lot and usually wake up around 2:00PM and out the house by 3:30PM and don’t get home until 12:00AM. Meditate for 30 mins, take my meds and do it all over again. I think you are right I have too much energy built up and need to tire myself out.