Sleep has a healing power

sleep to me is like a recharge, imo sleep repairs part of the mind

2 Likes

Repairs the mind and body as well. When at my very worst, I would never sleep much. 2-3 days no sleep and I’d crumbled to such a mess that I would finally collapse in bed, on the couch, floor, or whatever I sat down.
When I would wake up it felt like a brand new me.

2 Likes

Check out this news on sleep and mental health:

Americans are notoriously sleep deprived, but those with psychiatric conditions are even more likely to be yawning or groggy during the day. Chronic sleep problems affect 50% to 80% of patients in a typical psychiatric practice, compared with 10% to 18% of adults in the general U.S. population. Sleep problems are particularly common in patients with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Traditionally, clinicians treating patients with psychiatric disorders have viewed insomnia and other sleep disorders as symptoms. But studies in both adults and children suggest that sleep problems may raise risk for, and even directly contribute to, the development of some psychiatric disorders. This research has clinical application, because treating a sleep disorder may also help alleviate symptoms of a co-occurring mental health problem.

The brain basis of a mutual relationship between sleep and mental health is not yet completely understood. But neuroimaging and neurochemistry studies suggest that a good night’s sleep helps foster both mental and emotional resilience, while chronic sleep disruptions set the stage for negative thinking and emotional vulnerability.

5 Likes

Until I was sleep deprived in my 30’s, I had no psychosis that was a problem for me or others.
I’m a firm believer sleep repairs the souls of those in pain, both physical and mental. I’d bet my life on it. (And i’m not normally a gambler)

1 Like

It’s odd that this gets posted now. I’m going through something a bit weird with sleep.

This is very cool. I know when I’m not sleeping well, I’m not going to be functioning well very soon. Missing a few hours here and there I can adjust. But after more then that, I’m going to have hard time.

Sleeping does heal, unfortunately i have terrible insomnia, and i just quit using ativan. I don’t want sleeping pills anymore, it damages my already damaged brain.

i cant sleep :frowning: i’ve got a sore throat

I read the other day they’ve found sleep gets rid of toxins that have built up in the body. I feel like there are toxins in my body when I’ve stayed awake all night.

When I dont sleep well I have a bad day. I need like 9 hours at least, sometimes way more. At one point last summer I was sleeping for 12 hours, and last semester I slept for 10.

I usually take a while to fall asleep and I sometimes wake up early and then cant go back to sleep. Waking up early has been happening more frequently lately, i think it has something to do with my anxiety level. I am starting school again and I am usually anxious for the first week or two. I usually quit being anxious by the time I have been to all of my classes a few times and adjusted to them.

Insomnia was a big problem before I got on meds. At best I would get drunk, fall to sleep, then wake up wide awake early the next morning. I was restless.