Six Weeks Since ECT and Still Going Strong

Today is six weeks since my last ECT treatment for which I am scheduled to go back in two weeks, which will be eight weeks since having ECT. This is a big accomplishment for me as there was a time I couldn’t go one week without a treatment.

It has me thinking. I’ve been receiving treatments for three years and on psychotropic drugs for 18 years. It has been proven that antipsychotics change the brain’s structure and chemistry. Treatment Advocacy Center provides some great info on what the research has found ( http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/resources/about-mental-illnesses/schizophrenia/1378).

When my psychiatrist recommended ECT he said they thought it awakened dead neurons. So have my years of meds and treatments altered my brain to make me a little more sane? Stress still brings out my psychosis, but I don’t stay there. When I developed sz five years ago it was bad, and no med touched it. Now I still have the lack of motivation and cognitive problems. I still don’t function anywhere near to before my sz diagnosis, but since being diagnosed this is the best I’ve been. I’m able to do school, online, full time with a 3.97 GPA, I have a wonderful boyfriend, who gave me a promise ring, my relationship with my mom is the best it has ever been, and I have real friends for once, not many but I would take quality over quantity anytime. Things are good.

It is hard to be hopeful because it was only last August that I was in the hospital and so psychotic and out of my head that I couldn’t take care of myself. I know I have the potential to have a break at anytime, but I’m determined to remain vigilant. I’ve learned that anxiety is a precursor to my psychosis so I am determined to keep that in check.

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts. :sun_with_face:

4 Likes

Hell yeah sun girl that’s excellent news.

1 Like

Thanks @BryanAshley !! :sun_with_face:

I’m very happy for you… @SunGirl

That is great improvement. You have been working so hard and it’s great that your getting through this.

I once made this little story about living in lucid town and If I ever leave lucid town… not by my own choice… It would be upsetting, and disorienting… but I would find a way to get back into lucid town… because getting in the first time is the hard part.

Finding your way back takes work… but it can be done. That’s the little story I made up to keep myself from panicking about relapse.

Good luck and great news. Congratulations on all that hard work paying off…

2 Likes

When I was in a private psychiatric hospital I saw ECT work wonders for depressed people. I wish I could get it myself, but it isn’t available where I am.

1 Like

So glad you’re doing better @SunGirl You are such a nice person it’s comforting to hear good news.

1 Like

You are an awesome person @SunGirl - I wish you All the Best!

1 Like

@SurprisedJ Thanks!! I like that story I may use it.

@crimby They do mostly use ECT for depression, but it works wonders for psychosis too. I have to travel about 2 hours north to a facility for it. Can you travel a little ways to get it?

@jukebox Thanks so much!! That’s a very nice compliment you’re a nice person as well :smile:

@Wave Thank you so much for your kind words!! I wish you the best as well.

Thanks so much for replying guys. Keep fighting! :sun_with_face:

1 Like

I don’t know. I don’t think I could pay for it. I doubt if Medicaid pays for it. If it did, I would be investigating ways to get it.

Medicaid pays for mine. I think my Medicare only covers a certain percent, usually 80%. But I don’t pay anything. I think your pdoc has to recommend you for it though. At least that’s the way it is where I go. And it’s used as a last resort. Ask your pdoc though. :sun_with_face:

i had ECT numerous times, and it worked womnders, and it seems i do not need it anymore, i still fall into depression but nothing like i did years ago. I am happy it worked for you. It is an amazing procedure for people when nothing else works, and it makes a world of difference. I hope it keeps working for you, congratulations to you.

1 Like

**Good work @SunGirl! Glad to hear you`re back on track :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @bridgecomet ! Yeah things are going well. :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Thanks @littlemissy545 ! Did you have ECT for psychosis or depression? It’s amazing to be more than six weeks out and still not have a major episode. I definitely do not miss the demon. :sun_with_face: