Since 2018, I have huge gaps in my employment History CV /Resume...,,,,

Depending on the job, I see no problem with disclosing that you have a disability (which is true for all of us). I’ve done this when applying for a job, and it hasn’t caused any problems. If they press on what your disability is, well, that’s a tough one. You could disclose the specific disability, or you could say it’s personal and doesn’t affect my ability to work. Good luck!

I find it difficult to say the caring for a family member thing cos it is a lie. and i would have to upkeep it.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

I tell myself they are wanting stories.

Still I resent it though bc they are the ones that provoke a person into leaving. Then the next bunch want reasons which the first Human Resources folk don’t articulate.

I’d be more persuasive in my argument but I’m over it.

ahhh, well, that has rarely worked for me to talk about my illness.

But I have waited til I got the job, and told people, in a good way though, that I’m a published writer. and if they ask What’s it about, I always say, schizophrenia, I have it.
Well, it’s what NAMI wants us to do.

1 Like

You would not have to upkeep it at all.

Just confirm if asked too, and they won’t question it again.

All you need to do is sell yourself, and this white lie on your CV will make the interviewer less likely to probe your story, as it would make them uncomfortable asking about it if you say it’s a private matter

1 Like

how do you do that during lockdown? we are only allowed to go out for essential journeys atm and exercise within 5 miles of home

working is allowed…that is what I am trying to do. So i think that counts as work…

Idk I feel uncomfortable about it. but I will keep that in mind …thanks Fadetoblack

that is cool that you are a published writer…

yea I think I may end up saying that I was ill at some point, etc so they would maybe find out eventually that is the thing…

Thanks dude Tulane :slight_smile:

Nope, but thankyou for the idea.

1 Like

I am up north and workers are not allowed to work unless it is essential

oh ok. yea here in my part of the UK there is a few essential retail outlets still open. Mainly food ones tbh…

1 Like

hm, this is interesting to hear!

Maybe I should just add about ‘illness’ and that I recovered for full full time work now

because otherwise it will make my interview awkward if they only then find out. I don’t want to waste time researching a company and going for an interview only for them to later realise that i had an illness and then for them to give up on me.

I think i like the idea of being upfront about it and then the right employer will still offer me an interview…

1 Like

just want to ask, do you think you can handle full-time work.

It’s how some with sz. it’s what Keeps them high functioning,
see @shutterbug
I just want part-time right now.

I tried applying for the nhs, got an interview online and nearly got the job as a peer support worker :frowning: it was so close but all the care places are essential, food places, its hard to tell what is essential and what isnt atm tbh,

I have a massive hole in my cv and i’m talking over 15yrs :frowning: i have a few things in my favour but i think we have to prove that we are reliable and able to do the tasks in the job description,

i nearly got a job in an asda as a picker, nearly got it but near the end when he was about to give me the job he asked if i had a hole in my cv and i said something he didnt like, he then showed me the door and i lost the job. I felt i had proven to them that i can do the job and then they just ditched me :frowning: and i thought what a turd that guy was :frowning:

I think I can yeah. My dose of abilify is 2.5mg now and although I still feel the side effects they are less powerful on me compared to before.

yea exactly, this is what I am hoping too

Do you know what kind of part time you might be interested in?

You know what it comes down to in life? Thinking on ones feet. Being quick or quick witted.

It takes MORE to upkeep things, than it does to confess everything.

This is why people sometimes think the world is upside down.

And last and this might need some updating: But I think females look to males for this trait…!

(My biology lessons were from a really good ninth grade teacher albeit it, it was now a lifetime ago.)

My SIL who has increased my happiness a lot when she came on the scene, said of a waiter once: ‘Oooh he’s quick; I like him.’

I’m just saying it’s really important in life. It’s rare it’s difficult. And It goes the other way too.

(I just can’t shake the bio class: the teacher said ‘males are tested; and females grade the test.’). All boys school in 1994.

2 Likes

and if they ask me what kind of illness I will just say mental. That should be enough. I don’t need to go into details :slight_smile:

I had huge gaps in my resume. My last job experience i listed was 6 months volunteering at a food bank. Some of my gaps were over 5 years. I found a job after graduating from a 6month course. If it wasnt for that i might stilk be unemployed.

1 Like