Should I tell my parents I am Gay or is it just a delusion?

No point in telling your family if you don’t have a partner

My thoughts exactly for the last 10 years +

1 Like

You know who you’re attracted to. You can’t help being attracted to whoever it is. Since it coincides with your illness, things may change. People you’re attracted to, can change. I really wouldn’t worry about it. If you live in a conservative place, maybe you’ll want to move somewhere else.

1 Like

There is a massive gay population 10 miles away in a nearby city, but it’s too expensive for me to live nearer than I do now.

It only takes 20 mins on the train, but I don’t know anyone there

1 Like

Well you can always hang out there. I’m sure you’ll meet someone.

2 Likes

I have ASD so I am not good at meeting new people.

You should think twice.you have already very harsh life because of sz.i think you shouldn t get much more problem with complicate sex life.but i m not sure.best of luck.take care

1 Like

I mean,it is a very personal choice. I will say that I am 100% glad I came out. Zero regrets.

1 Like

It seems like the best thing to do.

I cannot seem to find the appropriate moment.

Like the title of the thread suggests, I don’t really even feel like a real person who has the ability to really know whether this ‘life choice’ is just based on a deep seated delusion that has led me to explore this in the way that I have.

All this stuff just deeply confuses me and I am not sure what to do about it. My mind is driving me nuts about this at the moment.

1 Like

I just ripped off the band aid by making a Facebook post about it. Maybe you could write a letter or email, and then not have to do it face to face.

2 Likes

I thought about this. Seemed to be the best way around it.

1 Like

It can be easier for everyone, because they will have the space to have their authentic reactions in private, and can come to you after they have had time to process it.

1 Like

I wanted my parents’ authentic reactions because I would have confronted them if they were negative. But it might be because I have a lot of resentment towards my parents. I also don’t mind confrontations.

1 Like

I think, for parents, it is pretty natural to have a moment of shock and grief even if you are totally supportive and accepting. Because you suddenly recognize that your kid has been living in fear around you for most of their life, and you feel guilty for making them so afraid,and possibly for things you said or jokes you made. You also know how much stigma they will face because of who they are. I think it can be good for parents to have the time to process those self-centered but normal reactions before they refocus on being loving and supportive.

If your gay nothing wrong it that, your parents will be okay with it, your born that way. Nothing to be ashamed of. Be proud of what your are man.

My parents didn’t react with shock or grief. Honestly, I think parents should be prepared for something like that, and it reveals something negative about them as parents when they aren’t. It’s one in ten children. It’s not unusual, so they shouldn’t be shocked.

1 Like

My first pdoc was also trying to reason if I was delusional or having anxiety because I was in denial.

So I tested it. Dated an awesome guy for some months. In the end I didn’t feel anything towards him or really any other guy. But came out too early to roommates. It’s difficult to explain yourself if your heart isn’t 100% onboard with your sexual orientation.

Take it as slow as you want. If you live next to a Pride accepting town and want to explore then all the more power to you.

Best wishes.

:rainbow:

1 Like

I have an incredibly fluid type of attraction that is ever evolving with a few stable qualities, so I cant really find the right label to give myself as none of them seem to fit. I dont plan on coming out anytime soon though anyways, besides to the few I’ve already have.

First things first, you dont NEED to come out to anybody. Its your choice when you want to come out and to who. With that being said I like @Ninjastar’s advice of coming out online as a practice run. Using your anonymity as a platform to make a powerful life statement can be empowering.

1 Like

I didn’t read the whole thread, so I am sorry if I missed this information, Do you find men attractive?

I often get a strange anxious feeling when looking at some men. It compounds for a while then I confront it. I ask myself if I find men attractive and go through various scenarios. I end up feeling nothing and the anxiety dissipates for some time. I have some delusional theories why that happens, but nothing rational except I may be slightly bisexual. Who knows?

At any rate, if you confront your feelings and ask serious questions you should find some consolation.

Well, yes. But parents have flaws, and most of them prefer not to let those flaws hurt their children.