Should I take it personally?

Last week I told my Case Manager that I suffered with Bipolar and Schizoaffective.
She may have known already but I decided to tell her anyway.

Yesterday, she drove me to my therapist and during the ride I brought up the weather.
I asked her if it was going to rain?

She told me that she didn’t know and then out of the blue she mentioned that the weather we were experiencing lately was very “bipolar” like - all over the map, one day sunny and warm, the following day cold and cloudy.

It was a bit shocking to be Honest.
I mean should I take it as an insult?
Or is this an innocent normal thing to say?

1 Like

Maybe she was trying to relate to you. It doesn’t sound that bad. Rather harmless.

But that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

I hope it’'s innocent and normal because I might have said it myself. Sounds to me like she forgot what you said a week ago.

2 Likes

No I think that @SnowTiger could be right.
She was probably trying to relate with me in some way.
She’s young.
I’m over thinking things as usual.

3 Likes

It’s a very common phrase. She probably felt like an idiot immediately after saying it. I don’t think she meant it as an insult, but if it bothered you, you should let her know.

3 Likes

No it doesn’t bother me now.
Looking back on it I think that she was trying to relate with me and was trying to be funny.

3 Likes

@Wave

This woman is a Case Manager, so she should be held to a higher standard than a person you randomly meet in a supermarket, etc.

She not only insulted you but all people who have bipolar disorder.

Ask to speak to her boss, and see if her boss finds it funny.

1 Like

Ouch! You now got me thinking @kindness :frowning2:

1 Like

Seems harmless. But then I call myself crazy to other people which some on here don’t like that word.

1 Like

Your case manager sounds a little passive aggressive, but not too damaging, more like an irritation. Sometimes you just have to deal with a few cockles and burrs in your socks. I wouldn’t hold it against her. That will only increase the irritation. If it starts to bother you just keep your distance from her.

1 Like

Sounds like she was just making an oberservation about the weather but in a weird way. It sounds normal to me because like @Ninjastar said it’s a very common phrase and usually people don’t mean it as an insult…

1 Like

It’s an idiotic thing to say for anyone let alone someone who specializes and works with mentally ill people. They might think that they are doing it to sound intelligent but it is insulting. I wasn’t even there and I don’t like this girl.

3 Likes

It doesn’t sound as if she was trying to insult you. I wouldn’t think twice about someone saying something like this. It’s a commonly used figure of speech. Perhaps slightly insensitive, but most people wouldn’t be offended by this.

2 Likes

my mom is bipolar and she has said that mother nature appears to be bipolar and needs to get back on her meds. i didn’t find it offensive at the time but i understand she was just trying to relate and be funny but i can see why you are unsure if she was being rude or trying to insult you.

1 Like

I hope she loses her mind and someone says that the weather looks a little bipolar today all nachalantly in front of her.
You wouldn’t say to a cancer survivor, those clouds look cancerous today would you?

3 Likes

My gut instinct is that maybe she felt that this was the best way to broach a discussion on being bi-polar. Maybe this was her own weird, awkward way of bringing up a difficult subject. I am reasonably sure that it was not a coincidence that she used the word “bi-polar”. I highly doubt it was innocent or by chance. I also am sure that she did not intentionally or deliberately try to insult you or offend you. That would not be professional or appropriate.

Do you think that maybe she was trying to make a joke to ease the tension of your revealing such a personal thing? Do you think that is a possibility? I kinda think that case workers know their clients diagnosis but I really couldn’t say for sure.

5 Likes

Are you being a little super-sensitive about someone knowing you’re bi-polar? And she is your professional helper. She should know and know what it means. I’d be glad she understood.

2 Likes

Yeah @77nick77 I honestly think that it was intentional but harmless.
I think that she was trying to open a line of communication and was trying to bring up my illness using humor to ease tensions.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what it sounds like.

2 Likes

I don’t tell anyone about my MI.