Should I take antipsychotics

@Wave But my argument is I no longer have any positive symptons haven’t since 9 + years, the negative syptoms I have occasionally are caused by AP as are the terrible physical side effects, affecting my health and my bread and butter.I must add aswell just my opion though that it has been proven in many different countries that SZ can treated fully effectively without AP’s

I think it is impossible to tell without knowing you, your story, symptoms, history way more precisely.

If i would do it again, in MY situation, i would not go straight for an AP, but try creating a safe environment, try therapy and emdr and changing lifestyle, and only use medication as a last resort. I dont like how they make me feel.

A friend of mine though is content with her meds and has no problems with them. She likes the calm feeling they give her.

There are good sides - they often stop extreme experiences and emotions and this can make life more bearable for self and others/loved ones. It can save lives.

There are also bad sides - side effects, withdrawals.

Which of the above weigths more depends on your specific situation/symptoms/response to meds and cant be answered by us. We dont even know how mild or severe your symptoms are!

My psychiatrist told me that I should have taken antipsychotics since childhood, due to delusions that persist still today, after 20 years

@anon77621692 my syptoms are practically non exisitent tbh the negative occasional syptoms are caused by the AP’s I should not be coming home from work today with Parkinson’s like syptoms because of the meds.I have been this way for 9+ years after being sectioned, I have always worked,socialize,travel alone and take of business.I must also add I have been slowing weaned down to lowest dose of current AP prescribed to myself.I will be talking to Pysch asap about possibility of coming of meds all together eventually

Before meds I was homeless, heavily abusing alcohol and cough medicine, sleeping in strangers’ houses when I could, sleeping in my car the rest of he time. I genuinely thought I was going to end up as a Jane Doe in a morgue somewhere.

Once I found the right med, I was able to get secure housing, a full time job, hobbies, friends, a romantic relationship, and a life I loved. It was a slow process, but now here I am. It’s been six years on meds. I own a home, I had a very successful career which I have recently left because I’m in the process of adopting a teenager and I want to focus on raising him. I am married to my best friend in the world. I have learned how to form and maintain healthy relationships. Most importantly, I no longer hallucinate. It’s been nearly three years since I had my last hallucination.

9 Likes

Sounds like a success story! Nice

1 Like

Hey, same story for you: i hope you succeed, whatever you decide, but i cant judge about the situation from behind a pc…

If you withdraw, at least do it carefully, with the pdoc, and be willing to get back on if that is the better choice. I recently tried going from 0.5mg haldol to no haldol by 0.1mg decreases - tiniest reduction ever. But i had all sorts of emotions and thoughts coming back…anxiety, anger, distrust, sadness, flashbacks, nightmares, disorganisation…i wasnt pleasant to be around for a while (even i hated being around myself :)) and got back on. I still have bouts of anxiety, but i think im starting to be nicer and more organised again.

2 Likes

You should follow the treatment plan set forth by your doctor or medical team. If that includes antipsychotics then take as directed.

2 Likes

Wow sounds like a movie I can only hope to be where you are one day

1 Like

Might I ask what meds are you on ?

Haldol. It is very effective against psychosis. And quick. In higher doses i hate it because of side effects. In lower doses im more okay and i like it better than the newer meds.

Be aware that there are negative sides, but dont be too scared: in certain situations it is simply the best option. I just think it is not possible for us to know whether yours is one of those situations.

You can be. Everyone can be, if they want. It just takes work and time and patience and never accepting less than you want.