Should i switch to a stronger AP?

I still have voices sometimes, last time i talked to my pdoc, i told him i sometimes hear voices at night, but then go to sleep and am fine in the morning. if i could try a stronger med without blood draws i would, but am hesitant to take clozapine because it seems like such a hassle with potential side effects. i just want my peace of mind back, and not have to be harrassed by these voices, which say random things, and never explain themselves. right now im on invega trinza, highest dose, it’s about the same as invega sustenna in effectiveness, at first i thought it was superior as i had 4 months without voices, but they have returned.

1 Like

Lol it made my laugh because my recent thread is named Should I switch to a weaker AP?

I think you shouldn’t switch to a stronger antipsychotic if your positive symptoms aren’t serious as you will likely get more negative symptoms. Are you on Geodon? I find that Risperdal is too sedating for me and causing severe negative symptoms. I want to try Geodon. I have an apt 24 Jan.

2 Likes

Clozapine is only used in emergencies when many other antipsychotics fail. I would hate having to do regular blood tests as I have to wait hours outside in -30C, there is always a long line in the morning 1-2h before they open, its ridiculous.

2 Likes

no not geodon, invega trinza, i think its risperidone but not sure it’s name. most of my days are pretty good, but then i have a breakthrough day. i’ve always thought my positives weren’t bad enough to switch, but now all of a sudden i am worried that they don’t go away completely and that maybe i should try something stronger. i guess i’ll just live with it, and discuss my options with my pdoc for awhile before making a decision.

3 Likes

@Aziz yes i saw your thread, that is what made me think well maybe i need the opposite.

2 Likes

You could try risperidone if you don’t have bad side effects on invega.

1 Like

Stronger meds in the best efficacy order are - clozapine, amisulpride, risperidone, olanzapine

2 Likes

the blood tests for the clozapine are not so bad… you’ll get used to it… my gp doc takes my blood when she comes to give me my risperdal shot.

2 Likes

There are two ways you can go now. The Clozapine road or the add another antipsychotic to your Invega shot road.

1 Like

I was on olanzpaine 40 mg which is a very high dose of one of the strongest AP’s but it stopped working after 15 years. The wanted to put me on clozapine after olanzapine but I refused. For the same reasoning you have, they thought I needed something stronger.

I ended up switching to Lurasidone 60mg which is a low dose of a weaker AP and it works far better without side effects than olanzapine ever did.

Don’t get caught up in “stronger” AP nonsense, everyone responds differently to different meds, just try different AP’s, hopefully some will work, some won’t work, some will have side effects.

I would say try other meds before going to the extreme of clozapine. From what i have read it can have serious side effects and requires constant blood tests.

2 Likes