Should I Shouldn't I?

Get a CT angio for my brain. It looks for blood vessel abnormalities in a majority of my brain I think. Using an injected contrast dye.

Pros. I might find out I have a problem so it will stop me binge eating.

Cons. The contrast dye carries risks such as kidney damage, and the dye settling in my brain, unknown implications though hopefully safe.

1 Like

If it’s a common procedure, then the risks are probably tiny and I wouldn’t worry about them.

3 Likes

BTW, I have pulsatile tinnitus and stroke runs in my family a lot so this is my risk factors for the scan.

1 Like

Physical abnormalities are rare for those with psychotic illness. That is just the breaks. You may learn something but you may not.

2 Likes

I’m talking about things such as narrowing of blood vessels. I think it’s more common in us folk than the general population, too… :frowning:

2 Likes

My bad. Still not sure whether you’ll find something but I’ll have a look at the procedure.

2 Likes

I think you should try to put numbers to the benefits and risks to help you decide. How likely are the risks and how bad are they vs how likely are the benefits and how helpful will they be. You could use a percentage, for example, and multiply them. To help you weigh the pros and cons more accurately.

We humans are often bad at evaluating information like this, and simple equations usually do it better.

2 Likes

I don’t even know. Who knows what a deposit of contrast dye could do in my brain.

But Yea I mean imagine there’s a problem and I don’t act on it.

So I’m tempted to go for the scan…

2 Likes

You may have to ask your doctor what they think.

2 Likes

True. That could help. I’m calling them today for a phone appointment, thanks Treebeard.

2 Likes

If you’re still unsure after talking to them, it wouldn’t hurt to try doing it mathematically and just using your best guesses.

2 Likes

And using my gut instinct :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, that would work too!

2 Likes

My philosophy is you’ll never know until you try. And as far as I am aware no one gets out of life alive so there’s that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.