Should I lower my AP dose?

You might be having anger issues because of withdrawals.
You are dropping the doses too quickly

1 Like

Risperdal has to be tapered down very slowly.
Over months

1 Like

I hope its true because the only reason I went up to 6mg from 3mg is anger issues. Also I don’t have a pdoc since a year ago, its difficult in Canada to get a pdoc. You can’t contact pdocs either, you need to take an apt with family dr which takes 2 months then the family Dr decides if you need a referral to a pdoc, then you need to wait months for the referral to be accepted and to get an apt with new pdoc.

1 Like

You need to be seeing a qualified psychiatrist.
Stop messing around with your meds

I was fine no sz symptoms on 3mg. I stayed on 3mg for a year and the only reason I went up to 6mg is agitation and irritability.

I think I am drugging myself too much with 6mg. 3mg is enough.

Why don’t you try staying on 4mg for a while then drop down to 3mg after a few weeks

1 Like

It sucks that it’s hard to see a pdoc when you need one in Canada. Still I think in the long run it’s better to be honest with your doc and work together towards a solution that you find acceptable.

1 Like

One pdoc took me off all my meds and I became psychotic. They can make mistakes. I am afraid if I tell my pdoc that I lied to him he will bring me back to his dose of 3mg because on that dose I had no sz symptoms.

1 Like

That’s the disadvantage of lying. You have to keep lying to cover it up. My pdoc was the other way around. He refused to try to lower my meds. Anyway, I hope you can find a good pdoc that you trust.

1 Like

I went back on 6mg as I had problems sleeping and some nightmares. Its crazy how these meds make us hungry and fat. Just by reducing by 2mg my risperidone, I wasn’t hungry and didn’t eat anything after 1pm until I slept other than a protein shake. I usually eat 2-3 big meals after 1pm. So I only had one meal that day. Also I finally showered after a whole week as I had more energy. Maybe one day in a year or two I can reduce to 4mg without having insomnia and nightmares. Thing is idk if these are withdrawals or sz symptoms.

What if you researched how to titrate down on risperidone, instead of dropping such a large amount at once? If you do it small, slow steps, then you’ll be able to tell better if it’s withdrawal or sz symptoms (because, obviously, the withdrawals will go away).

1 Like

@Ninjastar knows a lot about med titration

1 Like

I think when I feel ready I will ask my Dr to refer me to a psychiatrist who can do this for me. Also I will be honest with him and say that I lied as I don’t have positive symptoms on 3mg, but have anger/irritability issues and insomnia/nightmares.

2 Likes

Good idea. They can’t help you if they don’t know exactly what’s going on.

2 Likes

Fk this sz, I fix some symptoms then other symptoms get worse. Its like if they’re all connected.

My swallowing and coughing problems are back now on 6mg. They disappeared on 4mg.

@Aziz any time I tried titrating too quickly, I ended up relapsing. The most recent time, I had my doctor give me the liquid medication, and I was able to more carefully control my titration. Any time I felt the beginning of withdrawal symptoms, I stepped back up for another few days. It took 8 months for me to go from 80 mg to 0 mg. The doctor kept telling me I shouldn’t be having withdrawal symptoms and tried to encourage me to go faster, but I am glad I did it slowly. I did have to pay out of pocket for the liquid med. it was $85 and each bottle lasted 6 weeks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.