Should I get on a mood stabilizer?

A few months ago (probably August or September), my antidepressant was increased but it took a while for me to get used to the dose since I foolishly kept taking my original one and then increasing it with the new pills before properly getting onto the new.

Now that my system has gotten used to the new dose, I’ve noticed that while it kind of works, I’m still highly prone to strong mood swings and these mood swings have been increasing my depression. I still haven’t been diagnosed with whatever my psychotic disorder is, but I’ve been wondering if getting onto a mood stabilizer would help any.

1 Like

Lithium has helped my mood shifts and I no longer experience depression (also thanks to Latuda). I sadly also no longer experience mania :’(

I think it’s a good conversation to have with your doctor.

1 Like

I’m yet to be given a formal diagnosis, but went on Zyprexa for mood stabilisation and it practically saved my marriage. I’d let your physician/pdoc make the judgement call though … they take a lot into account before prescribing.

1 Like

Tianeptine 12.5 mg 3 times a day is good for me. I feel awesome. The effect starts in 20 minutes.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know! The next time that I meet with my pdoc, I’ll be sure to mention this to her.

True for me too. I often wonder how certain med just kind of stop having the same effect. Ability 5mg for a mood didn’t do a thing so tomorrow I’m asking something else. I remember using lamictal once but I don’t think it worked either.

1 Like

Thank you guys for the responses; I really appreciate it.

To update you guys, I went to see my pdoc earlier today and she seems reluctant to add a new medication to my list since she’s noticed that things are mostly going well for me in terms of school and my social life. Understandably, she doesn’t want to mess things up in case the new pill makes my emotions go haywire. I’m a little disappointed about it, but I’ll be seeing her in case things get rockier.

1 Like