Should I get a House Cat?

I don’t think having an outdoor cat is more ethical. They live much shorter lives outdoors and kill countless other animals. So don’t feel bad about getting an indoor cat.

3 Likes

When my sisters bought me cat for my birthday he was about 10 or 11 months old. He was a teenager cat! The beauty of getting him at that age was that the people at Pet Smart who raised him knew his disposition and he was trained at that age of course to use a littler box.
With getting a kitten, you can train him and if you raise him in a good environment he will probably turn out alright. But cats are born with a certain tendency to be a certain disposition, just like people, and with a kitten he might be born with a bad disposition or certain traits that might not be good. You just don’t know. But when I got my cat I already his personality. I knew he was affectionate, mellow, friendly and well behaved. I knew exactly what I was getting into and I never regretted having him.

4 Likes

My mom adopted two 3 month old kittens (brother and sister) 7 years ago. The kittens had been raised by a foster family who fostered both dogs and cats, so the kittens pretty much got along with everyone. Also, the foster family was able to tell my mom about the kittens’ personalities which was helpful. The kittens were spayed(female), neutered(male) prior to being adopted.

The kittens are now 7 year old cats and they have been really good companions for my mom. They also get along well with my little dog when we visit my mom, although my dog is much smaller than the cats.

Most cat adoption organizations in California require the adopter to sign a document that they will keep the cat indoors since that is safer for the cat. Therefore, my mom’s cats are indoor cats. They seem very happy living indoors and they don’t seem to have any interest in going outside.

The cats are pretty low maintenance. My mom brushes them, feeds them and scoops their litter boxes. I cut the cats’ toenails every 4 weeks or so because my mom doesn’t know how.

1 Like

What I love about Cyprus is the cats are wild, I wouldn’t even call them feral, they live naturally without fear of humans, except the kittens who can be a bit timid. The earliest example of a domesticated cat in human history was found in a tomb in Cyprus. We have a long history with them. I don’t know how many people keep cats for themselves. As I said, in London I know a couple of people who do, but not very well, relatives of friends really. Keeping cats indoors does happen. I can’t imagine how cats are treated in California. Probably overfed, chipped and neutered. The treatment of animals in the states is abysmal, there is a long history of industrialized meat production. Pigs have it the worst and there is a biased selection process towards reproduction for breeding purposes. Wild cats definitely have it good, they mate according to the natural laws, without bias, though of course there is some competition. I don’t think cats have a hierarchy, but I do see the wild ones going around in gangs if that is the right word. They’re very social. Communicating with cats is an art, usually you have to let them smell you first, witches cats are the best at language, usually divulging cat law and science to the witches family, but many witches families disown them. I’ve always thought the sphynx was a prophecy of the coming of Cleopatra and the cat came to Egypt from Cyprus. Lions on the other hand made the reverse journey. Leopards are my favourite followed by panthers, but they’re somewhat endangered now. Get a cat if you want, try not to worry what the neighbours think, pedigree cats are probably most suitable for indoors. What do you think of Siamese cats;?;

1 Like

Cats needs lots of love and attention - and i could give it, cos im at home all day - but yeah getting a cat thats used to being outside, and keeping it indoors is not the done thing.

Dont get a kitten if your out working - they will whine and become lonely.
You want an adult cat really.

On the RSPCA they have cats that are indoors for lots of different reasons.

I could give them a good home I think

3 Likes

Maybe you wanna register at https://www.rspca.org.uk/local/sussex-chichester-and-district-branch, unless theres one closer to you,

Im on the waiting list.

Thanks.

I did look and the closest indoor cat is 180 miles away

1 Like

So lovely and cute. Great picture

When my cat in the yard gave birth to many kittens, I wanted to adopt one and put it in the house but my father told me that cats smell

On my holiday to Greece I saw many cats

1 Like

Oh, yes, get the cat! You’ll have a nice company. Its not so hard to care :slight_smile: Maybe your dog and the cat will become friends, yeap.
My sister has a cat and I am in love with it. They are so cute, it definitely bumps the mood :slight_smile: So, I say yes :slight_smile:

jimbob Greece is full of cats

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.