Should i feel guilty for not trying to work full time?

should i feel guilty for not trying to work full time? my psychiatrist and therapist tell me i can’t work and that i shouldn’t try, but i feel like i might be able to, maybe fifty fifty odds, so that makes me feel guilty that maybe i should try. but i dont want to work full time. it’s risky and i wouldn’t like it. i mean, fifty percent chance of failure is still huge. i may be able to work long enough to lose my disability benefits, but then relapse and be in serious trouble. should i feel guilty for not trying to work full time?

No, you shouldn’t feel guilty . It’s not your fault

1 Like

My psychiatrists told me that I cant go to university. I went and got a physiotherapy degree.

3 Likes

Just try, you lose nothing by trying.

1 Like

No, you shouldn’t feel guilty. If you aren’t well enough, that’s ok to take care of your mental health first.

1 Like

Do you get pip? You realise you can work any hours and can still get pip … it’s like dla which my dad had for visual impairment but he worked full time

what about losing my disability benefits? and then i could become homeless. i wouldn’t worry about myself so much, but my therapist says i need to think about my own needs too.

1 Like

I don’t. At most of my jobs I worked whatever hours they asked me to. I worked morning shifts and night shifts at my jobs. I tried working graveyard at Target. I did it for 8 months but I never liked it. It disrupted my life because I only had a couple days off and needed to plan when to sleep and when to do necessary business. I had only a very narrow window to take care of stuff like doctors appointments or going to the local Social Security office or going to the DMV etc. I always thought it would be cool to work graveyard but it wasn’t.

Anyways, ever since I started filling out job applications at age 17, they always ask you what days and hours you are willing to work. And my own personal response was always “any”. I think that impresses an employer. In my 37 or 38 years of working I always worked whatever hours they gave me.
So I worked full time if they asked me at several jobs. I worked full time as a park ranger sometimes or unloading trucks at Sears. If they told me I was going to work just 20 hours a week I did it. If they had me work overtime or come in early, I did it. If they gave me 40 hours on the schedule, I did it.

But the difference between us is that I’m a lot older. It slows me down. I work 16 hours a week. If they ask me if I want to come in on my day off, I have no qualms about saying no. If they offer to let me go an hour early, they know I’m going to say yes.

My damn knees and bad back kind of dictate my decisions now. Sorry, I guess this doesn’t help. I’ll just say that 40 hours is a lot to take on. If you try I would just say have a cushion or backup plan.

2 Likes

Cant you get back on disability if you fail work?

if i have to reapply for benefits, that’s a big uphill battle. only a third of people get approved for benefits, and they fight people tooth and nail. id like to think they’d have mercy on a schizo, but i’m not so sure they would.

2 Likes

All your issues are legitimate. There are other ways you can contribute besides work. Maybe you could be a free baby sitter for your siblings.

1 Like

I don’t get anything and no benefits so if you do then think it through 100 percent they’ve given it to you for a reason

1 Like

There’'s some rule a Social Security worker told me a long time ago. It might be the work trial period.
They let you try working but they keep you on the rolls so if you fail you are instantly reinstated so you don’t have to start the benefit process atthe beginning. This the U.S.

Why don’t you just volunteer instead of working?

1 Like

I am currently unemployed, but I don’t stress over it.
My financial situation is good.
I do hope to hold a job one day.

1 Like

just the fact your trying to work is a huge feat. So be proud of that.

1 Like

you shouldn’t feel guilty about it. if you can’t work anymore it’s ok… if you really really want it you could try it but i think the issues of getting back on disability has to be taken into account.

But like some others said maybe you can try volunteering.

1 Like

No, you should feel proud trying to work when you have SZ.

I have been working on off the most of my life, but after my recent depression i feel burned out and the social worker i have been talking to said i should accept to live on disability and now im considering it. Im 52 years old, burned out, i don’t think i can work anymore, even i like to have a job

1 Like

I don’t think you should feel guilty at all. It’s is very detrimental to your health when your mental health isn’t at peak level, which is the case for us.

If you’re in the UK. You can get advice from different places, your care team. The citizens advice bureau and then I’m sure there’s other organisations too, who can advise how best to come to a solution that works for you. And only you.

Do not feel guilty

1 Like

good point