Should I be petty about this?

My boss was a jerk to me the other day and now she needs me to come into work on my day off.

I kinda just wanna say that I have something I’m doing today. Which is true. I’m lowering my stress load by doing things I enjoy.

But the extra money would be nice.

What to do?

5 Likes

Make a decision matrix to weigh the pros and cons

2 Likes

Good idea. 151515

Depends on the future. Do you want to be offered more overtime in the future, or less? The answer is different for everyone, but if you say no to overtime, it gets offered less frequently.

3 Likes

Honestly I’d tell your boss to stick it. It’s your day off and they should respect that.

2 Likes

Not really. I’m pretty maxed out on my regular hours. I had to decline offers for full time hours because I knew I couldn’t do much more. Fewer offers wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing for me.

3 Likes

Also this! I especially don’t want to after she was rude to me.

1 Like

I think you should go in.

It’s best not to play games at work.

3 Likes

If you are able to turn down extra hours without being retaliated against, it makes sense to turn it down. Just remember your boss ultimately has the power, and being rude about it will affect you more than it affects her.

2 Likes

Yes and no. I sometimes help out on Saturdays when branches are short of commercial employees and a customer needs a policy endorsement made (a lot of business owners do their paperwork on the weekends). I’m able to do it remotely and print the documents locally at the branch I’m servicing. I’m on salary so I don’t get paid extra for it, but I have a reputation for going above and beyond for customer service that helps during evaluations. I have never failed to get a raise each year. Last year I got three.

2 Likes

I think it would be good to go in and get the extra money.

2 Likes

Good to go in and get the extra money

If an overtime needs arise again, your boss will know you can be relied on

3 Likes

Update: I decided not to go. I need a break. I just let her know I had prior obligations today and apologized for not being able to come in. The amount of money I’d earn from the few hours worked is nominal and I finally have the opportunity to sleep during the day today.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.