Schizophrenia.com

Should i be on an antipsychotic?

Obviously I’ll discuss with pdoc but thats not till September… i had a psychosis lasting a day a few days ago due to lack of sleep or possibly due to starting sertraline … im quite scared … i wasn’t expecting it to happen as I’ve been working with the psychologist who said I should put myself in difficult situations even though i feel like I’m losing touch with reality , as its not likely to happen … well it happened she was wrong …

1 Like

What I want to know is even if its brief psychosis , is there temporary options for meds

Maybe you just need a low dose ap? Like 5mg Abilify? @anon90843118 is on 5mg Abilify only.

1 Like

I’ll ask i was between 5 to 10mg over the last 10 years …

I am not a psychiatrist so it could be the antidepressant that caused it temporarily idk
Ask him if it could be that.

1 Like

Sorry you had a bad day, that must give you an insecure, anxious feeling. AD could cause relapse. Lack of sleep and stress as well.

I know Haldol can be used prn, as needed. I use a tiny amount (0.5mg) and if i struggle i increase the dose for a few days. I never need that now, because i manage thoughts/emotions by myself, but still. I know Haldol isnt the sexiest med, but it works fast/immediately. Maybe other meds, even a benzo, can be used like that as well? Perhaps it gives a feeling of safety to have a med available to use like that?

Also, do they teach you coping strategies to use when this happens?

1 Like

I think you have comorbid mood disorder and that might be the reason serotonin drug induced manic symptom. For this kind of symptoms stopping the causing medication is the right way to deal with it. Ask your pdoc about it.

1 Like

Starting sertraline can be something of a ride, don’t rush into overmedicating.

1 Like

Yeah it could have been the antidepressant that triggered some mania and psychotic thinking.
Go see a qualified psychiatrist as soon as you can.

You may need to be on a mood stabilizer or possibly an antipsychotic while you are on an antidepressant.

1 Like

There’s no mania… at all…
Which is why I’m feeling confused…
Maybe it was my mistake to assume it might have been mania before …

I will try to get hold of someone but September was the earliest they could do

1 Like

I’ll call my gp on Monday… i read it could be serious and shouldn’t be ignored

2 Likes

I think it’s definitely worth talking to your dr about. I’d be nervous too

1 Like

I hope they will help you. Hope you can stand up for yourself, they cant just let you struggle when you get psychotic!

My response to sertraline wasnt good either btw…I didnt get psychotic, but i felt really weird. Perhaps just lowering the dose would help?

1 Like

I’m on 2.5 mg abilify since January this year. I don’t recommend that dose Ish unless u feel comfortable with it

1 Like

Its the lowest dose im on…but if its not the right med there’s plenty of options i could try

1 Like

Side effects may not appear like mania. It could come as mild psychosis, paranoia and even appear like rage. Anyway if its appeared when starting a medicine like ssri its worth to inform the doctor before continuing. Ssri is contradicted in people who have any kind of mood disorder like bipolar, schizo affective etc. Mood stabilizers is used instead of ssri if depression is very severe.

1 Like

Hmmm well the issue is it takes most medications several weeks to begin to take effect. (And most meds you have to slowly move up to the therapeutic dose so that takes even longer) So if you tried just taking meds for stressful time periods, most likely the stressor would be over by the time the med kicked in. The only way I could see that working is if you knew the stressor was coming like 2 or 3 months ahead of time, then went on a med. But that is not always going to be possible.

If you want to avoid flare ups you should really just be on an AP in general.

2 Likes

i had homicidal thoughts from antidepressants

1 Like

I had those too on antidepressants.