She's "transitioning", a nice word for dying

My great-grandmother is “transitioning”. She is 101 and has been in a nursing home for a while. She can barely see or hear, and she sleeps all day. She doesn’t like to eat. Now they have her on oxygen and morphine. I don’t have money for a flight, hotel, and/or rental car. As soon as I heard about her condition, I texted my uncle to see if he would help me and he said yes right away. The thing is, I don’t know if he means just the flight or everything. How do I ask? I do have enough to buy food, but that is it. I don’t have anyone to stay with, and my family down there can’t drive to a funeral because their cars aren’t reliable. So how do I ask? Also, please say prayers/send happy thoughts that she will pass easily.

3 Likes

I pray she finds peace.

1 Like

Prayers for your great-grandmother Happy… She’ll have it easier with the morphine.

2 Likes

I would be straightforward with him. I would say that I felt awkward or uncomfortable asking him to clarify but that unfortunately my circumstances compelled me to.

101 is a great achievement! I hope she has an easy passing and will keep you all in my thoughts. :heart:

4 Likes

Thinking of you and your family and that your great grandma passes on peacefully.
Just ask your uncle. I’m sure he’ll understand

2 Likes

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :heart:

1 Like

I recently lost my Mother.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you @Happy_H

2 Likes

Try to remember the good times you had with her. She is going to a better place.

1 Like

@Happy_H, thoughts and prayers with you and your grandmother. I would just ask your Uncle if he can help you see her if that’s what you want to do. It sounds like he would like to help.

1 Like

I will work up something to say tomorrow morning. I want to clear everything with him before she actually passes. After that happens, everyone is bound to be crazy busy and, of course, upset. I don’t know how easy it will be to get in touch with him.

1 Like

My dad’s mother’s funeral was very peaceful. There just was this wonderful calm.

After she died I had a dream that she was a toddler and she had a propeller hat on her head. She was flying.

I asked my uncle. I just said that I was embarrassed to have to ask but had nowhere else to turn. I can’t go without a rental car and hotel. I would have to drive everyone to the funeral; no one in my family has a reliable vehicle, so I doubt they can go without a rental either. It is about a 2 hour drive. As for a hotel, the only place I’d be able to stay is my sister’s, but her husband is a drunk, and he scares me.

1 Like

I hope it all works out and that she passes peacefully.
Sending good vibes your way!

1 Like

I wish her a kind, gentle transition.

You’re in my thoughts. I wish you peace. PM me. I lost both parents and all grandparents.

Take care, hon. Sending you hugs, because I wish I knew the right things to say. :hugs:

1 Like

My uncle still hasn’t responded, so I am nervous. We are going to pay our rent late in order to have money on hand to go, just in case.

This morning, however, I am told she drank some water and waved at a nurse. She still isn’t eating, though. So I don’t know what to think.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.