Shallow Breathing

Has anyone benefitted from slow and shallow breathing ? The slower and shallower you breathe,the more CO2 you retain

Only when hyperventilating. Why would you want to deprive your body of O2?

Slow inhalation and fast exhalation moderately increase blood CO2 and trigger ANS PS branch into soothing the restive beast when one is in fight or flight. Old Buddhist trick (and they probably stole it).

Yeah and CO2 (carbon-dioxide) is only poisonous to humans…

Another troll… here we go…

Bohr effect: haemoglobin’s oxygen binding capacity is inversely related to carbon dioxide concentrations, meaning that without CO2 oxygen cannot be released into tissues, as it cannot be released from the haemoglobin molecule

I’ve worked with researchers on this very topic - and they cite the research of another woman (forget the name but will try to post it later) that the ideal path towards relaxation is slow belly breathing (not fast exhalation - but slow inhalation and exhalation). and its not “deep breathing” - its moderate breathing - not shallow but not too deep either. Its the slow belly breathing that is most effective at reduceing stress. Try it - lie down for 20 minutes to do it.

It doesn’t happen (the relaxation) immediately - but typically it takes 15 to 20 minutes. You don’t have to lie down either - you can do it when sitting or standing too. I use this regularly when I get stressed.

I think this video describes it:

2 Likes

The method I learned years ago and then again recently from Dr. Sapolsky (in the book at the link below) works in about 30 seconds so long as my autonomic nervous system is not unduly tilted into extreme sympathetic branch fight / flight / freeze / freak / fry. Maybe slow belly breathing works well for some. It was the standard in use at the VA a decade ago and has been taught for decades, but it didn’t work for me at all.

1 Like