Schizophrenia.com

Sent application in for MI support group!

I just called NAMI Utah (National Alliance on Mental Illness) and the dude sent me an email with a link, to fill out my information. I just filled out the application or whatever it was. Now, I just have to wait for them to get back to me. :grinning:

I checked the box for adult support group on Wednesdays, 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM. It’s online, via Zoom. I guess they haven’t gone back to in-person support groups, yet. That’s OK. :computer:

I’m kinda nervous that nobody else in the meetings will have a psychotic disorder. I am worried that they might all have depression, and might judge me for being “the actual crazy one” in the group. I’m worried that everyone will judge me if I open up about schizoaffective and what it’s like living with it. I’m just nervous.

Anyway… I’m excited and nervous at the same time. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hey in my group I went to, the depressed people were the least functional. There was a guy with disorganised SZ and everyone loved him.

2 Likes

Don’t be nervous, I’m sure you’re not the only nut. lol

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. :relaxed: @Beep @leafy

1 Like

I went to a NAMI meeting twice. I admitted my diagnosis. No one was mean. But I didn’t like that when we introduced ourselves, we were asked to state our diagnoses. If I had it do do over, I would just say mood disorder until I was more comfortable with the group.

2 Likes

good luck, i hope you enjoy it, people with mental illness know what its like, we are all kinda in the same boat but obviously unique in our own special way as well, i hope you make some friends :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only people that I’ve felt like they understood some of the stuff I’ve been through are on this website because they have been through the exact same thing, or stuff that is very similar.

I don’t feel comfortable in MI groups because they all have different mental illnesses that are considered “less serious” that schizophrenia, like anxiety or depression, they don’t seem to understand what I’ve been through, they ask question but don’t really get it. I can just imagine some people thinking “I may have problems but that guy is bat sh*t crazy”.

I also don’t feel comfortable with counsellors or therapists either, while I have gotten the occasional piece of good advice I found most of it useless.

Good luck with it though, maybe I’ve just not found the right group or therapist. i just don’t feel comfortable in either of those settings talking about my experiences. I’ve received some strange looks.

1 Like

I might try the zoom again…you could say you have bipolar/especially women are more accepting and understanding of that…the label itself is just what carries stigma…

1 Like

I think Im going to sign up for a support group too.

There are no zoom chapters in my state…can I do them out of state?

1 Like

I belong to a small social group online. https://mentalhealthfriends.freeforums.net/ . If you try to register, mention Robert mentioned it on schizophrenia.com. Hopefully someone will approve the registration. Most of the 5 members are older people on meds, USA and Australia. Members typically post about their day and situation.

1 Like

@robertc, what are the rules like in that forum?

1 Like

I went to a NAMI meeting once when I was very psychotic. I ended up leaving early, but I do remember everyone seemed pretty kind and not too judgmental. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

1 Like

The rules are no flaming or hate speech. Its informal. Members are encouraged to post sometimes.

1 Like